Can be used instead of heavy tripod!

yvon_bourque2

<p>What do you guys think about this approach? There are times that you can't haul a tripod with you, because of the weight or maybe because you are travelling, etc. This approach allows using any hard surface such as rock, fence, mail box, car, or even the ground, to stabilize your camera, while enabling adjusting the horizontal/vertical position of the camera. I designed this gadget because I hated having a long lens tipping the camera over everytime I rested it on a table or such. Then I realized I could leave it on the camera at all times and it even fits in the camera bag while still attached to the camera. It works well for all photographs but especially for when you need a long exposure.</p><div>00Zeg9-419143584.jpg.7ed18886288ffe1cb906f61e0d18f88a.jpg</div>

<p>It seems this would make handheld shooting very uncomfortable. Also, the narrow alingnment of the front supports mean you must have a BG mounted on the camera to use this with larger lenses (f2.8 zooms in particular).<br>

It seems a simpler (and more effective) approach would be to have a 3 leg setup, with the front leg adjustable in height (say with a adjustable or sliding pin), and the rear one as they are (threaded I assume). You would be able to use a narrower protruding front piece (making handheld use more comfortable), and be able to use Fast zooms w/o a problem. Just my 2 cents. It's a good start, but poorly finished/executed.</p>

<p>Having to adjust four different points of support via fine-grained threads is tedious at best. The allowable range of adjustment is prohibitively small in the context of adapting it to uneven surfaces and the ability to shoot at any angle exceeding 15 or so degrees above/below horizontal. (I suspect it isn’t possible for the front and rear supports to be set at anything approaching opposite extremes, e.g. front legs at their lowest and back legs at their highest point.) The tiny surface area of each foot provides little ‘flotation’ in soft substances such as sand, dirt, snow, etc. I foresee dirt/debris invading the moving parts and causing them to seize, given their proximity to the ground. Given the size, weight and aforementioned reasons I believe this would be a tough sell. I do admire the inventiveness and entrepreneurial spirit...but that and a dime wouldn’t buy a cup of coffee.</p>

<p>I posted on the Pentax forum and the Canon Forum. These are two different forums, aren't they. I'm not spamming. I would be if I was offering life insurance, or enticing the readers with false promises or un-related to photography advertisement. I have not advertise anything, neither have I given any links to another site. I just asked for opinions.</p>

<h1>What is spam?</h1>

<p>Spam is flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message, in an <br />attempt to force the message on people who would not otherwise choose to receive <br />it. Most spam is commercial advertising, often for dubious products, <br />get-rich-quick schemes, or quasi-legal services. Spam costs the sender very <br />little to send -- most of the costs are paid for by the recipient or the <br />carriers rather than by the sender.<br>

There are two main types of spam, and they have different effects on Internet <br />users. Cancellable Usenet spam is a single message sent to 20 or more Usenet <br />newsgroups. (Through long experience, Usenet users have found that any message <br />posted to so many newsgroups is often not relevant to most or all of them.) <br />Usenet spam is aimed at "lurkers", people who read newsgroups but rarely or <br />never post and give their address away. Usenet spam robs users of the utility of <br />the newsgroups by overwhelming them with a barrage of advertising or other <br />irrelevant posts. Furthermore, Usenet spam subverts the ability of system <br />administrators and owners to manage the topics they accept on their systems.<br>

Email spam targets individual users with direct mail messages. Email spam <br />lists are often created by scanning Usenet postings, stealing Internet mailing <br />lists, or searching the Web for addresses. Email spams typically cost users <br />money out-of-pocket to receive. Many people - anyone with measured phone service <br />- read or receive their mail while the meter is running, so to speak. Spam costs <br />them additional money. On top of that, it costs money for ISPs and online <br />services to transmit spam, and these costs are transmitted directly to <br />subscribers.<br>

One particularly nasty variant of email spam is sending spam to mailing lists <br />(public or private email discussion forums.) Because many mailing lists limit <br />activity to their subscribers, spammers will use automated tools to subscribe to <br />as many mailing lists as possible, so that they can grab the lists of addresses, <br />or use the mailing list as a direct target for their attacks.<br>

(For more information about the origin of the term "spam", and the formal <br />definitions of Usenet spam, see J.D.Falk's excellent <a href="http://www.cybernothing.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq.html#2.1">Net Abuse <br />FAQ</a>)</p>

<p>I don't see it as an advert, there is no price, no link and no way to buy it, if it is an advert it is an ineffectual one! I see it as market research and testing.</p>

<p>Why not just give your opinion of the item or don't post? If the Pnet elves want it gone it will go.</p>

<p>Personally I think it is a reasonable idea, though as Marcus pointed out, it could do with detail changes. But the glaring ommision for me is the inability for portrait orientation shooting. If you made it with an Acra-Swiss clamp on the bottom people with L-Plates could shoot in portrait, also adoption of the Arca-Swiss standard elevates the product to a "serious" tool rather than a silly accessory living in the bargain bin.</p>

<p>As far as gizmos and photo accessories go, I have certainly seen many many worse ones. I'm sure JDM can post an image or two of his favourites, I always liked that sideways lens he posts.</p>

<p>Seems like a tedious piece to use. And of limited use--no rock, fence or table etc., to set up on and you S-O-L. Can't pan, can't tilt, no QR, and for 80 bucks-yikes,another useless toy! With a wide lens and hood you'd get interference from the platform. For macro it would be a pain in the a$$ no fore-aft sliding or changes in elevation. I had a Christmas tree stand with feet like that--good idea, terrible execution.</p>