Zeiss Ikon Contina III repair

<p>I posted last month about my newest old classic camera and its film advance problem. I now know what is wrong but was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions on how to fix it. The problem is that there is a piece missing on the toothed sprocket that helps with the film advance. I have a photo showing the problem. The plastic is broken on one side and allows the pin connected to the rewind button to rise and disengage when tension is applied. I probably can't find a replacement so was looking for ideas on how to repair the plastic. Thanks.</p><div>00ZpLj-430721684.thumb.jpg.a0713bb731820aba439c59b5d142224e.jpg</div>

<p>The material looks more like bake-lite, which is kind of brittle.</p>

<p>Easiest solution is to find an identical camera for parts. They are not rare on the big on-line auctions.</p>

<p>Or use some 2-component epoxy to re-build the broken part, and then use a file to shape it more precisely.</p>

<p>Easiest would be if you could take the part out and mold on the missing section with some epoxy like John suggests. Should be easy to file down to the correct dimensions too once it's hard.</p>

<p>I guess modelling putty like 'Green Stuff' or Kneadatite® could work too.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Looking at your photo, there is also some cracking below the chipped portion of the part. Go to the J-B Weld website and look at Marine Weld, Part No. 8272. You may be able to build up the area and also coat the cracks with this stuff. Can be sanded, drilled, filed, etc. I have no experience with it, but I have friends who have used it on chipped outboard motor skegs--they built it up and ground it off to match the original shape; it's extremely hard. I would also rough up the surface of the part before applying the new stuff. Good luck!</p>

<p>What you show appears to be the "Achilles Heel" of the Continas. Mine has a very similar problem. Although mine is not cracked or broken off, the bakelite where the pin should slide in is worn to the point the film advance skips. Maybe Zeiss Ikon should have used a metal take up spool.</p>