Wedding Photography goes Wal-Mart-esque

sunnyography

<p>I just learned that a certain national wedding dress chain (we'll call them Dav-idal) is in the planning and recruiting stages of offering wedding photography and videography to brides as they are shopping for their wedding gowns. The email I received explained that they will be selling a contractors work directly to the bride and paying for time of service only to the contractor. They even included an application for being a contractor.<br>

My *initial* reaction is that the Wally-world (BIG BOX STORE) chain is honing in on brides who are already there to shop for gowns before they get a chance to sit down with local, independent, talented photographers. This bridal gown chain already has 1/3 of America's brides and parties and families walking down the aisle in their dresses according to "The Knot". Their selling point to me the photographer is I only have to show up and take the photos, and they do all the marketing and selling- this tells me they don't know exactly what I do, or simply don't care. I can also see the dark side of this- They go from supplementing my business and other locals business' to being our stale bread and moldy butter. I'm a loca-vore on purpose, so this doesn't sit well with me and motivates me to get face time with brides even more so I don't become the servant of another national Chain.<br>

Thoughts?</p>

<p>You can almost say this type of business consolidation was inevitable. Turnkey service is attractive to many prospective clients who view photography as a service just like catering or the DJ.</p>

<p>Or you can see it as an opportunity to further differentiate yourself from their mass market approach for those more discriminating clients. </p>

<p>I too agree this trend is inevitable - as pressures to cut costs increase, more and mlore chains will start offering bundles and, if you look at this from the brides' perspective, it kinda makes sense. If something goes wrong, then at least have the resort of reaching out to a large chain, rather than X independent photographer who may make a run for it (and don't even think about telling me it hasn't or it wont happen!)</p>

<p>Personally, if I were a bride, I'd ask the chain to show me their photographers' portfolios and book it if I found something I liked. Remember, more and more brides are heading down Craigslist and uncle Bob way when it comes to photography, so this "professional" alternative is not bad at all.</p>

<p>Can you prove you're better? Can you compete in terms of price (not price alone, but price as well)? Can you differentiate enough? If yes, then you should be okay...if not, then..well, if you can't beat them, join them...;-)</p>

<p> Alex DC is correct, the bride I work with, and him, book us based upon referrals by high end event planners, that demographic knows the difference between a one stop shop and hiring a professional.<br>

As for asking the chain about portfolios, they will show a generic bunch of great wedding pictures, most likely culled from stock photo, and then the business model will break down because brides will want to meet the photographer-not all but many.<br>

Then this business model goes "Bella" meaning they will have a cattle call out for photographers, and those who will answer, "don't want to market or sell" meaning weekend warriors.<br>

I simply don't want a client, and let's face it won't ever get one, who simply wants to get it all done in one fell swoop. What I (we) do is considerably different, and will last longer than the bricks in their house.<br>

As for competing on price, you can't, you never will. There will always be someone cheaper than you, offering more, making better promises. The business that competes on price will be out of business in this sector. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>that demographic knows the difference between a one stop shop and hiring a professional.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Exactly. In fact, the few times a couple has turned me down for a 'cheaper' turnkey solution - stills + video - they got back to me afterwards and lamented that they should have bitten the bullet and gone with my services. So just continue to differentiate yourself by style and service.</p>

<p>The big-way to get back at the dress store: find a mail-order source for wedding dresses and see if you can put a large sign across the street from the store in your area. That would be fair play for the dress shop selling photograhy. [No reason a photographer can't send a customer to a less-costly dress outlet....]</p>

<p> </p>