Printing Black and White Digital images for an exhibition.

<p>I've been wanting to put my darkroom back together for a while now. However, I just can't give up the creative control of digital editing. That would be ten steps backwards for me.</p>

<p>I had an interesting thought about how to make a home-brew, high-resolution monochrome LCD enlarger. One could print a dot mask transparency that would lay over an LCD display, aligning with the green pixels, for instance, but diminishing their dot size. I admit that wouldn't be an easy thing to make/do, but it could still be done. Then a higher resolution image could be broken down into 4 smaller interlaced images (using every other pixel in every other row) and projected individually, as the easel is budged into each of 4 corresponding positions (perhaps simply by varying spring tension on the easel assembly. The trick would be the accuracy, but in principle, this should work.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>mpix, sure make me not want to buy, and more importantly *maintain*, another printer...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Absolutely agree. If you use a good printing service it costs less and you will not have to maintain pesky inkjet printers. I still prefer glossy pics myself, but agree that if they are not behind glass then a matte surface is nicer. No problem with black and whites either as stated. No color casts on mine.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>Hmmmmm.... I wonder how much this puppy is going to cost:</p>

<p><a href="http://medicaldisplaysforless.com/product_detail.cfm?pk_product=585">http://medicaldisplaysforless.com/product_detail.cfm?pk_product=585</a></p>

<p>10 MP monochrome medical monitor. It seems to me that this, in a box, plus a lens, would make a great digital enlarger. :-)</p>

<p>There are currently 6 MP monochrome monitors, BTW!</p>

<p>Printing for an exhibition is different than making prints to review for yourself. One wants to put their best foot forward. Time is taken with each image to bring out the best that it can be. The difference between gloss and matte doesn't really come down to how black the black's are. It comes down to whether you want a shiny surface or not. I don't think that black is a virtue - in any sense. Almost all of the photographers in the history didn't have much black to work with and they made amazing images. <br>

I like matte paper because a matte surface lends itself more to the effect of having people enter into the scene when they look at an image. The blacks tend to be rich and velvety. I would suggest Hahnemuhle, Canson or Crane Rag papers, Cone b&w inks and QTR. That's the best quality b&w (in the matte category), one can find...</p>

<p<p><b>Mod: Signature URL removed. Not permitted per Forum guidelines.</b> </p></p>