Damaged Lens...need it replaced but who pays?

khacg

<blockquote>

<p>new middle class clients would be driven away from increased rates... that I live in a city that within a 25km radius there are nearly 5000 "photographers" half of which are selling the same "services".I offer for $50 the only difference is the high quality of product/service/experience and talent I bring to the table.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have the sense that you are filtering your own analysis. If all this competition is selling the same quality services, how is it that they can manage to charge more but, somehow, you can't? Surely the price can't be "the only difference".</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I more than anyone hate that I work 60hrs+ a week, barely see my kids, edit to all hours of the night... ...my children come first</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If pricing has all this effect in your marketing scheme, there should be an equilibrium where moderately adjusted prices will result in less hours of work but about the same amount of return. You don't get a second chance to enjoy the children when they are still children. They grow older each day and you never get to encounter them this young ever again. According to your own good values, its hard to see how the nickle and dime approach is compatible if it results in endless hours of little return. It seems like you need to make some changes now or consider another line of work.</p>

<p>I'm not trying to be negative here at all. Indeed its the opposite. this lens mishap could be a blessing in disguise to some degree. An event prompting an evaluation of where you are going next. How to utilize your valuable talents even more effectively. It may be a tired phrase but it seems like a great time to think outside the box.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I like giving</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's great and you still can. Is it as satisfying giving to everyone when some would be content to give you fair market value for what you market or to help people who are in more of need a break?</p>

<p>Anyway, I'm not trying to tell you that you are wrong, just giving some alternative perspective to think about. I wish you the best.</p>

<p>One question, are you sure the lens needs replacing? Have you sent it to Nikon for an estimate? It is likely it can be fixed for much less than the cost of replacement, and I have a feeling it would be much easier to get the repair cost covered by your client.</p>