Looking for Quality Wireless mic for wedding in Canada???

vancouver_wedding_portrait

<p>Hi there,<br>

Wonder if anyone is using a good quality wireless mic for wedding in Canada, I was told some wireless mic will have issue with cell phone therefore what is a good quality brand and model. I need two wireless for groom + Bride and one hand held mic for the speech. Thanks for the help.</p>

<p>WWS</p>

<p>Renting, buying? Where are you and where in Canada is the wedding? Try renting from a pro audio/video rental place. </p>

<p> Canada uses the same frequency band assignments as the US does, so there should be no problems with current wireless products. I remember reading that the frequency band assignments were changed relatively recently, which may be the cause of interference on older products.</p>

<p>Go take a look at wireless microphones on <a href="http://www.markertek.com">www.markertek.com</a>. They are a broadcast supply house, one of the places TV stations and networks buy from. You get what you pay for -- a $150 Azden isn't going to be as good as a $1,000 Countryman, Sony or Electrovoice. For the speech, most likely someone speaking is going to need to be speaking into the PA system microphone, not the videographer's microphone, if they want to be heard. So your choices are to have the person hold two mics, tap into the PR system, or mic one of the PA system speakers.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Your wedding probably already happened, but for others' benefit, I thought I'd add my $0.02:</p>

<p>I recently shot a co-worker's wedding with another camera guy from work as a favor. We set a short mic stand at the place where the vows are spoken, and placed my $300 (which is "cheap" for a shotgun--good ones cost about $1,600), Audio-Technica AT-835B short shotgun condensor mic there. Into it, I shoved a Lectrosonics plug-in transmitter (quaintly referred to in the industry as a "butt-plug"), and mounted one Lectro receiver on each camera, both tuned to the same frequency. This actually worked great.</p>

<p>If the wedding still hasn't happened yet, it's recommended that you rent, since good wireless mic transmitter/receivers are expensive as hell. Find a good <em>broadcast</em> rental house in your area--<em>not</em> an AV rental facility. The bottom-of-the-line Sennheiser systems actually work very well (about $1,000 per set). Lectrosonics are most common in broadcast applications, and are excellent, but start at about $2,000 per system: body-pack transmitter, receiver, Tram-style mic. To mic three people would cost about $6,000, if buying--so obviously, this is the kind of stuff you want to rent. This set-up would rent for between $150-$300/day depending on market.</p>

<p>Also, I would recommend you never plug into a PA system's board, since that always seems to be a recipe for disaster. You'll have impedence, level mismatches, and if you don't have the right adapters, pads, etc., your audio is screwed. As Craig mentioned above, shoving a handheld mic or shotgun into a PA speaker is a much safer way to go.</p>