Is the future more challenging for the Photographers ?

rashedahmed

<p>More challenging in what way? I think that technology has dramatically expanded what you can do with the capture and manipulation of light. I think the ability to execute what might previously have been considered exotic visions are now within the grasp of many. I think horizons have been dramatically expanded, but I don't know if that is the same thing as a challenge.</p>

<p>When you refer to "the Photographers," are you talking about professional photographers, who must find a way to earn their living? The future for anyone, in any line of work, is always more challenging because of competitive pressures. Technological improvements remove many barriers, and thus increase competition. So it is indeed more challenging to separate yourself from the crowd and to find people willing to pay high enough rates to keep yourself fed. This is just as true in other walks of life (say, desktop publishing and other pursuits that have become far easier, and thus embraced by people willing to do it for much less money).</p>

<p>It's as challenging as we care to make it. Cameras have become more appliance-like than ever, allowing very green newbies to make passable generic imagery with relative ease. Many with sales ability are finding earning a living possible. Each of us sets his own challenges, and in that sense it's up to each of us.</p>

<p>On the creative side, no; that remains the same challenge. On the technical side, yes; computers and software are more challenging than film. On the business side, yes; competition has increased and the economy has changed in ways that may be long-lasting.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Is the future more challenging for the Photographers ?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I hope so.</p>

<p>I don't think that we yet produce many images that fully take advantage of the sort of graphical innovation that even our <strong>current </strong>technology makes available.<br>

I would hope for a future in which a more visually sophisticated public both expects and appreciates better work from us, and that we demand better from ourselves in our exploration of the limits of photographic technology.</p>

<p>I'm an optimistic old fool.</p>