epson problem posts

<p>there seem to be many epson printer posts concerning problems.<br>

Freestyle sells kits with Big ink taks for epson printers and they seem to be the printer of choice for photographers.<br>

However when I had an epson for a short time it was a pital pain, it never printer properly.<br>

I got a few black pages but never a color page. searching on the www, I founmd a source for information and was told that this procedure USUALY unclogged the printer.,and allowed it to print again.<br>

the advantage the epson has over others is that the print head has tiny ports and the results ( when it prints)<br>

are better than say a HP where the print head is replaced as it is part of the ink cartrige..<br>

with an epson an axe would have to ve used to conveniently get at the business end of the print hear<br>

but this site decribed how to do it with a folded paper towel.<br>

I seenm to think that newer printers have fewer problems than older models,<br>

But am I willing to pay money to get something that may or may not work?<br>

I think not., The cost of home printing seems to match or exceed the cost of going to a big box store with a CD<br>

and printing and paying for only the ones that turned out right.</p>

<p>I am just a little short of saying an epeon or other inkjet printer<br>

is a bit like "the emporor's new clothes" eveybody says HOW GREAT IT IS<br>

but nobody looks in the wastebasket. OOPS.<br>

I am as tired of Epron problems as I am of folks trying to put an FD lens on an EOS.<br>

I thing both are an exercise in Futility.<br>

I hope the bruises I put in your hear heal soon.</p>

<p><em>there seem to be many epson printer posts concerning problems.</em></p>

<p>not really. most of them are *my print are too dark* and this is 99% a user problem that dont have a calibrated monitor or dont use the correct printer icc profile or people who use third parties ink and dont have the correct icc profile for it.... other than that, if you are refering to the clogged problem seen in the last decade, it was a problem more about the type of ink (dye) then the printer itself. A problem almost not existent anymore, thanks to the K3 ink. So you might want to see when this post was create / made.. i bet it is like 5-8 years ago.</p>

<p>Tired of making print for nothing that dont match what you see on your screen? invest in a good calibrator first, like spider3 pro or a i1display pro.. then learn how to correctly print using epson / ink / paper / icc profile combo (or canon printer if you prefer canon) and then, live happy.</p>

<p>Ask yourself a good question; do you think that Epson would be the most used printer amongs pro (and many well informed amateur) if it was so bad? Of course, if you are planning to get a 1000$ and print once in a blue moon a 8x10.. i will strongly suggest that you go to a lab instead... this is another big problem when talking about clogged print head; people make 12 print a year with there printer.</p>

<p>Most of the problems that are real problems is issues between the Epson print driver and Mac OS X plus some applications. Unlike the old days, if you are on Windows, printing is rock solid unlike the Mac (depressing). There are other problems such as the prints are too dark that Patrick discusses but that’s nothing you can blame on Epson. They have a huge market and as such, you hear more complaints, legitimate or not on the forums. Other than the Mac/app/Driver issues which usually happen when one or the other is updated, once ‘fixed’ the printers preform great, no issues on this end. I do wish Epson/Apple/Adobe would work out this continual set of issues that crop up every year or so. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>On the other hand, I exchanged my first Epson R2880 because it would not recognize some GENUINE (received from Epson) ink cartridges after the initial cartridges emptied. I use a PC with Windows 7 64 bit now.<br>

The second one, a reconditioned one from Epson, is much better although there were a few cartridges that emptied real fast according to the printer and the ink monitor (according to my scale there was plenty of ink left).<br>

I wonder if there were a bunch of bad ink cartridges on the market for a while.<br>

Since those teething pains, the printer has been great. Ink clogs, although I don't print very often (more than 12 prints a year though!) are less frequent than the 1800 I had, which was likewise better than the 1280 I had.<br>

Print quality is top notch. If I printed more I'd consider getting the R3000 or the 3880.</p>

<p>I use Epson printers for years, with ONLY original paint cartridges. Never had any shadow of problem.</p>

<p>People put strange or cheap paints in them, and then complain. This is not Epson problem, as it is people problem trying to outsmart the technology.</p>

<p>Epson is very specific about using original paints, for many reasons. One is the money to earn, but more imoportantly is print quality and trouble free printing.</p>

<p>The only problem with older Epson priters was that Epson did not provide older printer models device drivers for newer operating systems.</p>

<p>People go to forums for advice when they have problems. This is often a user error and not printer related. Sometimes it is a legitimate printer problem. This happens. However, people rarely go to a forum and post that they have been successfully using xxxx printer and had no problems with it. They don't do this because they are too busy making amazing prints with their Epson printer.<br>

<br /> I bought two Epson printers in the last year. I have had no problems with either of them. I would buy another one in a minute if I had need for it. Well need and room for it. That said, you need to learn to print on a professional printer if you intend to print on a professional printer. It is a skill set itself. As others said, your monitor setup needs to be correct. Your color management needs to be in line. You need to know how to use profiles. The first time a black and white print makes you laugh out loud when it comes off a 3880 using the ABW, you will know you bought the correct machine.</p>

<p>The only un-solvable problems I've had with my Epson printers(2400, 3800) have been with the mechanical paper transport(3800 rear load frequent fail); plus some mysterious behavior issues(unwanted black ink changes) that are probably related to Mac OS or possibly voltage fluctuations, RF interference, and other mysteries. Picture quality has been lovely, however. </p>

<p>I've had four Epson printers, an 1160, a 1280, a 2200, and a 3800. The heads on the 1160 went bad after about 4-5 years of fairly heavy use so I junked it. My wife is still using the 1280 which is now about 8-9 years old. The 2200 was a glutton for ink but performed perfectly. I sold it to buy the 3800 about five years ago and I use the 3800 today.</p>

<p>Other than the heads on the 1160 going bad, which I didn't mind considering its age and usage, all have performed pretty much flawlessly. I've had some minor feed problems with the 3800 - it occasionally leaves a tiny ink smudge on one corner of a print - and an occasional rear load problem like Keith B. mentioned but that hasn't happened in quite a while. Maybe once a year I get a print that looks really weird, which I know from experience means a clogged head. I run a head cleaning cycle and that fixes the problem for another year or so.</p>

<p>I'd never buy another brand. HP and Canon were competing with Epson for the higher-end photo print market for a while. I think (not sure) that HP has dropped out and Canon now has all its printers under the jurisdiction of the business printer people, which a Canon Explorer of Light photographer told me is a really bad move from a customer support standpoint.</p>

<p> </p>