AE-1 Program needs CLA

lionel_rafferty

<p>I have an AE-1 Program which has pretty much become a shelf queen since I upgraded to autofocus and then to digital. I recently ran a roll of film through it for the first time in several years, and I noticed the dreaded shutter squeal. It needs a CLA. The problem is that the area I live in is pretty light on camera shops, so I'd like to find a place online that will do it. I checked the Canon USA website and they don't show any support for FD equipment anymore. So can anyone suggest a good reliable online shop that will do it for me?</p>

<p>Goto http://www.paradesquare.ca/canon_fd/a_series_chirp.htm<br /> for a discussion of what this is and one way how to fix it.</p>

<p>While a real CLA is unlikely to do much harm, "don't fix it if it ain't broke" is also a good idea.</p>

<p>The trouble is that so many so-called CLAs are not all they claim to be. As Capt. Jack (who used to have visual examples to prove his point) said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Many repair facilities claim that they can repair Exaktas satisfactorily. I have examined cameras that were repaired by some very reputable services. You'd be amazed at some of the shoddy work done by even some of the better ones - cameras not cleaned adequately or properly, incorrect fabrics used in (or improperly installed) shutter curtains, etc.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you can stand the "squeal" leave well enough alone. When the camera finally(if ever!!!) seizes up, pick up a replacement for short money. These bodies are at give-away prices and a CLA would cost far more than the camera is worth. Following items will ultimately fail: battery door, mirror bumper, door seals, meter, short causing battery drain. By the way the battery is harder to find and can cost as much as $10....I can go on and on. I presently have and enjoy Canon F-1 mechanical, Canon FTBn and Canon A-1 electronic with many FD Canon lenses from 24mm to 200mm.</p>