Broken EF-S lens mount

Ken Katz

Friends of mine dropped their DRebel and the lens mount on the 18-55IS cracked. Does not seem to be any other

damage to camera, and the lens appears to operate when held onto camera (it will mount but will not lock onto

camera). They would like to attempt a repair themselves, so (a) does Canon sell the lens mount to the public?,

(b) has anyone else successfully accomplished such a repair?, and © if they send it to Canon (or an authorized

repair shop) how much does such a repair cost (assuming its just the mount and the lens mechanics and optics are

OK)? If its the standard $100 or $125 minimum repair charge, then it probably makes more sense for them to

replace the lens instead of fixing it.

thanks

<p>I think Marcus may have shown the non-IS version of the lens mount. The IS version houses the IS sensors as well.<br>

It's quite a simple job to replace the lens mount. Two tiny screws hold the contact block onto the mount, and four screws hold the mount onto the lens body. You also have to unplug the IS sensor flex.<br>

Ring Canon, or their service agent, and they will tell you the correct part number and price.<br>

Provided you have the right tools, are careful, and make a note of which bit went where, it's quite feasible for a dextrous person to replace the lens mount.</p>

<p>Henry</p>

<p>Used copies of this lens sell on eBay (completed listings, not asking prices) for between US$70 up to the price of a brand new one. They are widely available since they are nearly free as an add-on when buying one of the entry cameras. I can't imagine that a repair would cost less.</p>

<p>Obviously, if you bid, you need to set a price and stick to it - patience will eventually reward you. Or go to one of the reputable on-line stores to get a used one.</p>