help my DL has spots

patrickwells

<p>My DL has been idle lately (I have been shooting more film). I decided to take it out and do some shooting with it today. When I got home and looked at the pictures on my computer there were dark spots in the lighter areas. I changed lenses and still the spots. I tried cleaning the sensor with a blower. Still spots There is nothing visible on the sensor to the naked eye. using a flashlight. Is this dirt/dust I can't see or is there another problem? I have never wet cleaned the sensor before. Would that fix my problem? The plain shot it of a wall to see if they were still there after using The blower no change same as wall shot before blower use.</p><div>00ZHUm-395371684.jpg.aa3e7ea070880cb03792331450aa5d50.jpg</div>

<p>I think a picture of your spots would help others decide if its just sticky dust or something else. I can usually see the particles on the grid that overlays the sensor when I use a loupe. After 18 months of using my own wet cleaning kit, so far it has taken care of every single spot that the blower could not move on the k20d and k-5. YMMV as always but if you have spots and they bother you, clean it or pay a camera shop to do it so you can get back to having fun.</p>

<p>Lee<br>

Thanks I may get a kit and try cleaning it myself. I don't know who to trust to clean it. I have never had this problem in the almost 5 years I have had this digital. Tho I have had 3 specks in the view finder. Come to think of it maybe I should let somebody do a thorough cleaning.</p>

<p>Patrick,<br>

It looks like your sensor needs a wet cleaning. Older DSLRs are prone to this, especially if they are subject to frequent lens changes; wind exacerbates the problem. I used to have to clean my *DS and K10D every couple of months. Pentax made the sensor covers a lot less sticky with the K20D, so I have only had to clean it every 9 months or so. I think newer camera designs have mostly solved the problem as I've never had to clean my Canon 7D during the 13 months of heavy use it has seen.<br>

You can go to a pro shop and purchase a kit, but I made my own rather quickly and more cheaply. These <a href="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Photography-Tips/Sensor-Cleaning.aspx">instructions</a> are useful. I cut down a $2 spatula and purchased a bunch of PecPads (which are good to have around anyway). Then you need Eclipse solution. Add some courage and you should be good.</p>

<p>ME</p>