AF-S nikkor 18-135mm lens rear/bayonet mount assembly thread broken

cash_chew

<p>I am on my vacation and yesterday I dropped my backpack about 2 feet from the ground with my above lens attached on D80. The one part of the rear mount assembly thread was broken and the lens could no longer secure to the camera, not even the rear lens cap. I wonder if Nikon 5-year warranty cover this, or should I just buy the rear mount assembly and fix it myself if it is something easy for DIY. Any idea where I can buy them from without spending too much?<br>

Hian</p>

<p>With a drop, the warranty does not cover the damage.</p>

<p>You may wish to check</p>

<p>www.keh.com</p>

<p>and see if you can buy a replacement lens. If Nikon were to repair it, you would be finished with your vacation by the time you had your lens returned from repair -- and the repair cost would likely not be in your favor....</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Indeed the 18-135 has a plastic mount.<br>

Personally, I would not bother try to replace it; apart from being tedious work, the lens' value is not that high so odds are replacement parts carry the same price as a replacement lens. In addition, there is a high risk internally a lot more broke down and/or lens elements are now seriously misaligned. <br />If you do not mind getting a plastic mount lens again (despite this showcase that they're less sturdy), the 18-105VR is a better lens and not too expensive. Else, you may want to look for a second hand 18-70.</p>

<p>A copy of the repair manual can be found here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/58144819/Nikon-Af-s-Dx-Zoom-Nikkor-18-135-3-5-5-6g-Ed-Service-ET</p>

<p>It has a plastic lens mount. In reality, metal lens mounts are appropriate when heavy bodies are used with heavy lenses and there are high cantilever forces on the connection. Metal mounts are not so great for impact damage loads. Rather than yield from the impact, the mount will transfer the forces into the rest of the lens and the camera mount. In a case like this, there's a good chance that only the lens mount is broken and can be replaced by some one with good mechanical skills. More extensive lens damage, or body damage, has to be repaired by someone with access to specialized alignment equipment.</p>

<p>Thanks for that link Kurt!</p>

<p>Looks like fragile battery doors are a consistent feature of Nikon's design philosophy from that parts list. I'm glad now that I glued a strong metal pin to the broken battery flap of my D700, since they've obviously had a run on replacements.</p>

<p>Even if the mount is repaired the lens may be kaput. I have the same camera/lens and I dropped it at about 2 feet height in a padded bag and the lens will not autofocus anymore (just keeps hunting). The mount though was not damaged. I got rid of the lens (sold it as for spares on that auction site).</p>

<p>Today is my last day of vacation. While on my vacation, I have a 50mm 1.4 as backup. However, it is not wide enough for my vacation use, and I hate to loose those wonderful moments of my family vacation. Although the broken lens cannot be securely mounted on the body (the lens came loose when it is tilted up, but not holding it down pressing it against the bottom part of the lens mount on camera body), I had managed to finish the last 3 days of shootings by carefully holding this lens. Everything works fine, but now I am worrying about dust getting into camera's sensor due to frequent lens changing and broken lens came off from time to time. I searched youtube and found a video clip to replace rear mount of a different lens. Thanks <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=114609">Kurt Holter</a> for the part's link.</p>

<p>I got back from my vacation. I called Nikon to find out how much it costs to get that bayonet mount, boy am I lucky that the customer support told me they will send one free of charge (not even shipping). I guess Nikon must have a lot of these bayonet mount issues in certain low-end lenses.</p>

• 2 weeks later...