How many photography magazines are there?

<p>Does anyone here know how many photography related magazines are available? I only ask this because I decided to tidy up a bit and found a large variety of titles stacked away. I took a photo of the magazines that I found. I am sure that there are even more titles out there. I guess photography really is a huge industry if it can support all that many magazines. </p>

<p>Really?</p>

<p>I thought photo magazines were going extinct.</p>

<p>http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_20?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=photography+magazine&sprefix=photography+magazine</p>

<p>So six before it digresses to silly stuff.</p>

<p>And Lenswork (which is the only one I will probably buy) is down at position 15.</p>

<p>So seven photo magazines total, left viably alive.</p>

<p> When I browse the rack at Barnes and Nobles I see a large number of magazines for sale. However they are really all the same. New camera gear available, how to fake up a picture in photo shop. Crazy oversaturated colors and such. Buying all of them would be something for sure. I do not want any of them myself, even for free.<br>

However Lenswork is the only magazine that I personally like and it's not on the rack at B&N. You can order it on-line and I have seen it in a camera store in Palo Alto, Calif. </p>

<p>I've subscribed to Popular Photography most of the past 30 years. It's more about equipment and less about photography than it used to be (back in the 70s) but still the magazine of record when it comes to equipment and technology. I also subscribe to Shutterbug, which is a little folksier and informal and sometimes writes about the business side of photography. Lenswork is always inspiring for the Ansel Adams in me but I only pick it up occasionally and it doesn't apply to what I do on a day to day basis. Tried Outdoor Photogrpahy for a while, but it's really just Popular Photography with nature photos as the samples of what a lens can do instead of Rockefeller Center (how many times has Pop shot the Prometheus statue over the years?) and without the optiical tests or in-depth reviews. I miss the days when Pop did profiles of David Kennerly (President Ford's personal photographer) or</p>

<p><a href="http://www.rangefinderonline.com/">Rangefinder,</a> which covers general professional photography (and is NOT about rangefinder cameras <em>per se</em>) is a very good magazine, and available with a <a href="http://rangefinder-sub.halldata.com/site/RNG000221RJnew/init.do?&PK=">free subscription in the US</a>. Only one I subscribe to, and definitely look forward to it every month.</p>

<p>Of the options in Richard's link I'd most likely choose American Photo. But I'm partial to <a href="http://www.pdnonline.com/">Photo District News</a> which I didn't see in that list at all. There are lots of magazines. The question for the potential subscriber is what do you want from it -- equipment or techniques or history or business or whatever.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>I forgot about Rangefinder and also Studio Photography if it's still around. Both do profiles of photographers and how they run their businesses, oriented toward portrait and wedding work if I recall properly. Used to subscribe but haven't in a while. American Photographer used to have good profiles of photographers but I haven't read it lately.</p>

<p>There's quite a proliferation of magazines that are just rewritten advertising and methodically overprocessed photo fast food, with the reader paying for the privilege. Among the locally available ones that are (to me) more informative and more genuinely inspiring I'd include <em>American Photo</em>, as well as the relatively new quarterly <a href="http://www.ct-digiphoto.com/">c't Digital Photography</a> that also looks like it's aiming a bit more at in-depth writing rather than a business model where the customer pays to get plugged ad nauseam with Broadway Photo and Portrait Professional ads.</p>

<p>Alas, with Herbert Keppler gone, there will no longer be his columns, which ennobled any magazine they appeared in (and which he published, too, of course).<br>

I still take <em>Popular Photography</em>, but mostly to have a time-dated set of announcements and advertisements -- the same reason I buy a lot of older photomagazines.</p>

I subscribed to Practical Photography out of the UK for a year or so. Good info and ideas but the material rotates

through the year and begins to get repetitive after a time. PhotoLife out of Canada had a good balance of gear and

technique, but their reviews appear to come straight from press releases and the articles are so short they only scratch

the subject's surface. I still like Nature Photographer - interesting photos, technique advice and best of all, some of

their articles contain genuinely useful ethological information about the subjects.

How many magazines are still out there? There must be two dozen on the shelf of my local big box bookstore and that

is probably a sliver of the content out there.

Steve

<p>There are two opposing processes at work here, as in publishing in general.<br>

The big central photo magazines are getting smaller and smaller, as are other magazines. The commercial trade book publishers are increasing restricting their offering to only the mega-best sellers.</p>

<p>However, at the same time, the ability to "publish on demand" with computer typesetting and so on mean that the little local book brewery is now able to provide "micro-magazines" and "micro-books" tailored to a local and more specific clientele.</p>

<p>Much the same is happening in music distribution, although things like iTunes complicate the process there. There are efforts to emulate that in text/book publication, but none have come to dominate the way iTunes has.</p>

<p>I will add the UK magazine Amateur photographer to the list - it is available on subscription in north America and is weekly. It has been published for over 125 years and while brief is quite informative. It contains some photos, lots of news, good reviews, a technical section (formerly written by the late great Geoffrey Crawley) and quite a lot of adverts. I believe it is now also available for the ipad.</p>

<p>I will second the approval for Amateur Photographer from England. Some of the other ones that I look at when I can are D-Photo, out of New Zealand, Smart Photography from India, and What Digital Camera, from England. There is also a new, free .pdf magazine available from Australia. It is called Photographic Fanatic. It is very small, but for free, why not? You can get it from the author's blog site: http://www.steverutherford.com.au/blog/section/photographic-fanatic-magazine/</p>