Need Advice on which Camera to start with...

<p>Hello,<br>

I am just starting out and would like some advice from some experienced professionals as to what camera would be a good starter. I've seen work from Nikon and Canon and I prefer Canon. My own wedding was shot with a Nikkon, and a relative was shooting with Canon and I definitely liked the Canon better. Seems like better color and quality. I'm not sure which type or model? Any suggestions? Pricing? Where to find?<br>

thank you!<br>

Laura H.</p>

<p>It's important to understand that it has <em>nothing</em> to do with the camera or who made it. Nothing. The only factor that will influence the quality of images coming from a Nikon or Canon of similar quality with similar quality lenses is the person operating them and the creative decisions they make (or don't make).<br /><br />So, go to a camera shop and touch both the Canon and Nikon (and Olympus and Sony, while you're at it). Get a feel for which one feels better in your hand, play with the controls, peruse the menu system, but don't worry about image quality. The Olympus E-Volt system is awesome and often preferred by women on account of their smaller hands. The sensor is smaller but if you don't plan on printing larger than 13" x 19" it won't be an issue and their Zuiko lens system is among the best. Not an endorsement, I have Canon, my grandpa had Nikon and his dad used Leica, my friend has Olympus, my uncle has Pentax, and my cousin has Sony. </p>

<p>the camera is not as important as the brain behind the camera! I am a canon shooter - love canon because of the lenses which I think is the best. However, I am sure that Nikon shooters would say the same. There is great passion in both camps. I think you need to start first with what is goal for this camera? How much would you like to spend? It is my personal experience that if you stay with photography you will find yourself changing camera bodies and investing in lenses - Lens investment I think is where it is at. You can put a pro L lens on an consumer grade body (rebel) and get excellent results. Lenses hold about 90% of their value if they are an "L" lens. B&H video has great info on their site for cameras - read the reviews - you can also go to Canon USA and get information on each camera body and lenses - buying a camera is like buying a bra - no two people will every have the same set. It's a very personal choice. You can also rent bodies and lenses - I rent from <a href="http://www.borrowlenses.com">www.borrowlenses.com</a> - so you can take a test drive before you buy... and last you can buy pre-owned equipment from professional photog forums. I buy from <a href="http://www.texasphotoforum.com">www.texasphotoforum.com</a> - good luck with your search!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Listen to Jeff. The camera brand makes no difference - especially at the entry level, for general use. <em>All</em> of the cameras at the consumer pricing level can and do produce wonderful images, if they are used correctly, and the resulting image files are handled correctly. Completely ignore the image quality issue, and focus instead on the ergonomics of the cameras. Hold them, and the differences will be immediately obvious.</p>

<p>I agree, pick based on ergonomics if you're buying an entry-level DSLR. Stick with the kit lens, usually something like 18-55, and add lenses when you determine that you have a need that the lens(es) you have can't meet that need. Try to avoid superzooms, like 18-135 or with huge ranges; in some ways they are convenient, but the whole point of having a camera that accepts different lenses is to take advantage of what different lenses have to offer. Superzooms tend to compromise quality in exchange for that large range.As a Canon guy, I know Canon has two nicely complementary kit zooms, the 18-55 and the 55-250. Nice lenses, and will cover a lot of your beginner needs.</p>

<p>Accessories you'll want to consider are: spare battery, spare memory card, camera bag (with room for additional lenses as you acquire them), tripod.</p>

<p>Books to consider, assuming you're fairly new to photography and DSLRs, would be the Field Guide written about your specific model (once you've chosen a camera, obviously). David Busch also writes a similar book; either one is fine, no need to buy both. Also consider buying <em>Understanding Exposure</em> and <em>Understanding Shutter Speed</em>, both by Bryan Peterson. Keeping your camera on Auto as you become familiar with the camera is fine, but if you truly want it to be an artistic tool and not just a glorified, expensive point and shoot, you'll need to switch out of auto and take control of the camera. These books will help you with that.</p>

<p>Take lots of pictures, and don't be discouraged or hesitant to ask questions as you encounter poor images. It's a learning experience, and you'll learn more from those bad shots than you will from ones you get right.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"So, go to a camera shop and touch both the Canon and Nikon (and Olympus and Sony, while you're at it). <strong>Get a feel for which one feels better in your hand</strong>, play with the controls, peruse the menu system, <strong>but don't worry about image quality</strong>."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Good advice. Follow it. :-)</p>

<p>Yet another vote for the "camera had nothing to do with the results"</p>

<p>All modern, mainstream cameras are so closely matched that no Coke versus Pepsi test will ever tell them apart in blind testing. Of course if the testers were blind, then they wouldn't be able to tell anyhow, right?</p>

<p>Since we are agreed that it is the person why makes the good photograph rather than the camera you may well find that the Panasonic or Olympus 4/3 and M4/3 cameras suit you better than a heavy DSLR, though there are DSLRs and DSLRS in that respect. You will find some good shots in the POTW threads of "Olympus and 4/3' forum here, particularly the thread originators..</p>

<p>Buy the Canon 60D It sits between the Rebels and the 7D, 5D and 1Ds cameras. It shoots with EF-S and EF lenses. It does 18 Mega Pixels. It's a big camera when you have the grip on it. Here are some photographs I took with it in the past week since I just got it last week. I haven't had much time to shoot with it, because I sprained my ankle last week and can't get out to do more with it at the moment. Shoots like a film camera with a lot of options on the camera.<br /> http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/14085295-md.jpg<br /> http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/14085172-md.jpg<br /> http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/14084612-md.jpg<br /> http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/14084594-md.jpg</p>

<p>I personally bought a Nikon camera and I will agree with everyone else that has said buy a camera that makes sense to you and feels right in your hands. Looking back, I wish I would have bought the Pentax that I was looking at. I normally shoot with a fixed lens on my film cameras and if I would have bought the Pentax, I could use a lot of the lenses that I have for my film cameras. Zooms are nice but they are slower lenses generally than fixed lenses. <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=5990272">Jay DeSimone</a> has it right when he said to avoid superzooms, they do compromise to get you that range. I would add that getting a nice fixed lens that is fairly fast would greatly compliment the two kit lenses that he recommended. Something like a 50mm ƒ1.8 or a 35mm ƒ1.8. <br>

When looking at cameras, ask about the pros and cons of full frame versus the APS-c sized sensors.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>When you discuss "how a camera feels in the hand," I strongly feel that further explanation of what this means is necessary, especially to those new to dSLR cameras:<br>

<a href="http://blog.dojoklo.com/2011/09/15/why-how-it-feels-is-not-a-valid-criterion-for-choosing-a-dslr/">http://blog.dojoklo.com/2011/09/15/why-how-it-feels-is-not-a-valid-criterion-for-choosing-a-dslr/</a></p>