Liability Insurance

<p>I have a wedding that I am shooting next month. I just found out the venue requires all vendors to have general liability insurance and I have to add the venue to that policy.<br>

In the 7 years that I have been shooting weddings I have never been asked for insurance. Is this something that I should have my clients pay for?<br>

- Rob</p>

<p>Robert, Do you have an insurance agent to whom you can ask about liability, and whether your insurance covers it? Usually an event space requires proof, and may be covered under your business insurance. If you have to buy it separately, then yes, it needs to be worked into the price of the shoot. Where I live, a $1m policy/bond is about $200-300.</p>

<p>You should be carrying business and liability insurance already. </p>

<p>Don't do an add on to your current customer, build it into your pricing model and spread the costs out between all of your clients. </p>

<p>The only time I charge an extra to a client is if there are expenses above and beyond normal for the shoot. Example: A location (one which I never shoot at) charges a $50.00 fee for use of the location. That gets passed on to the client directly. Another location where I shoot at probably once or twice a month charges a fee, but they have an "annual" option. That one gets built into my session fee. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

• 3 weeks later...