Football

vicki_williamson

<p>Hi,<br>

My son is playing football this year and I want to get some nice photos. I have a Nikon D50 with a 70-300mm lens. Is this good enough? Where is the best place to stand when shooting? Do I use the sports setting? I am a rookie so please help. Any input will be greatly appreciated.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Vicki</p>

<p>Vicki - </p>

<p>Settings will depend upon the lighting conditions of the field that you are shooting at. </p>

<p>Generally - the 70-300 is fast enough for daylight photos of sports at an ISO of 400 and a shutter speed of around 1/500 - 1/600 - you want to use a fast shutter speed to stop the action. </p>

<p>Once the sun sets, you will find the 70-300 limiting because it is not a fast lens - meaning that you can't get enough light in to shoot at the higher shutter speeds without bumping the ISO above 400. Depending on the lighting the D50 with that lens may or may not be usable. Under the lights - I've shot best at 2400 iso with a similar lens. That allowed me to get to 1/320 shutter speed and still have enough light to work with. </p>

<p>Access depends on the level of Football that is being played and the league. Most leagues don't allow parents on the sidelines for 1 reason - liability. Ok - two reasons - they don't want you (parents) coaching. </p>

<p>Generally the rules are more relaxed in rec leagues vs feeder leagues vs school leagues. But be prepared to be told to go to the stands. Some leagues have photo zones staked out - photographers can only be in one of the zones or going from zone to zone, but can't shoot outside of the zones. This is done for athlete safety as well as photographer safety. </p>

<p>Also - some leagues have contracts with photographers to be the exclusive provider or to have exclusive access to the sidelines for photography. All depends on the league. </p>

<p>Generally - best shots are between the goal lines and the 20 yard lines - keeps you away from coaches and team members - just watch out for officials and of course the action. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you can't get to the sidelines, sometimes the top of the stands is good since it's a high angle where you can see all the action, similar to the main camera position for football on TV. Be sure to shoot players who are coming at you, not those going away -- just backs of heads and rear ends that way. Do not use the sports mode -- it will do random things that you can't control. use manual, put the camera on 1/500 or 1/1000 for shutter and then set the aperture accordingly for your light level. ISO 400 will get you 1/500 and f/16 in full sunlight -- fast enough shutter to stop action and small enough lens opening to get good depth of field.</p>

• 9 months later...