70-300mm

jerry_curtis

<p>I have a Nikon 70-300mm AF 4-5.6 G. I use it occasionqally, and it works fine. It will autofocus with my D90, but I have to use manual focus with my D70s.<br>

When focusing, the lens makes a consistent whining noise. It's not noticeable when it focuses automatically, since it's so fast. However, when I turn the focusing ring manually, there is a whine while I am turning it. It's not a grinding, just a whine, and it's consistent. From full close-up to full infinity, it makes the same noise.<br>

Any ideas?</p>

<p>Jerry</p>

<p>Jerry,<br /> I've got the same lens and when using manual focus, it makes no noise. However, one must ensure the camera body is set to manual focus. This lens does not allow manual focus override like the AF-S lenses do. So the noise you hear may be the in-camera AF motor (in which case you should also feel quite some resistance).<br>

<br />It should AF on a D70s without any problem, by the way.</p>

<p>Right, the 70-300mm/f4-5.6 G is the older, $130 or so version. That is not an AF-S lens so that if you want to focus manually, you need to switch the camera body to manual focus so that the "screwdriver" AF mechanism is disengaged. Otherwise, you'll find that mechanism grinding.</p>

<p>The newer AF-S VR is a 70-300mm/f4.5-5.6 lens, note the f4.5 instead of f4.</p>

<p>Sorry, but I should have mentioned that it makes that noise whether it is on or off the camera. And yes, the D70s <em>does</em> autofocus this lens. If I focus manually while it's on the camera, I do switch to "M."<br>

So, what do you think about that whine? Obviously, it's a rubbing noise, but it works smoothly through its range. Maybe not enough (or any) lube was put in at the factory in China. It has made this noise since I bought it new from Adorama in 2008. Yes, I know, I should have returned it right away.</p>

<p>Jerry - what kind of experience do you have with non AF-S lenses? The reason I ask is that if you're accustomed to no sound at all, your regular AF lens could sound loud. Many of my standard AF zoom lenses have a little "zip" sound when quickly moving the focus ring back & forth.</p>

<p>Here's a quick, crude video of my loudest AF lens - the 28-105mm:</p>

<p>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QxWJ9cNLIQ</p>