A good not so expensive flash unit for T2i? Ideas...

walkiria

<p>I am moving from Nikon to Canon and though I have a brand Flash for the Nikon now is not the time to invest in an expensive Canon speedlite. What can I buy that has some basic electronic communication that is not too expensive? Not too expensive is a general idea that has no boundaries, since if presented with the right choice it will become a moving spec. Thanks</p>

<p>Well, you can find compatible models and prices easily online, so the only "advice" I would give is don't fall for the false economy of cheaper flashes. The more powerful and versatile your flash is, the more you will be able to use it, and the better your pictures will be. The real secret to pleasing flash is bouncing it off things. Swivel heads and lots of power are really important for that. Compatibility with your camera's electronic exposure controls is also vital.</p>

<p>Don't skimp. Get more than you think you need. You won't regret it in, oh say, 3 years. 430EX is my recommendation.</p>

<p>I have a Yonguno and love it (don't have the model number handy as I'm travelling). It was sub-$100, has E-TTL, and just all-around rocks. It's so cheap I'm buying a few more when I get some free money to lean more about playing with light.</p>

<p>For $100 it's really hard to resist. Good luck.</p>

<p>Ryan, I think I will wait for that model number from you. All I need is that is has E-TTL and that is has power enough for more than close shots. Hope you can get it soon since my T2i has not arrived.</p>

<p>Deerfield, that is a personal question, but I will tell you a bit: 1) I just want it.</p>

<p>My Nikon DSLR provides 5MP at its best, I wanted (1) the 18 MP at a low price and (2)Canon. Those were the requisites. As you can see I have stayed with Nikon DSLR since the availability of the D70, buying point and shoot Canons along the years ( I love my G10 photos) and looking at photos taken with Canon DSLRs.I find the color depth of Canons much, much better.<br>

My Canon SX30 IS photos are better than those taken with the D70, so I can only imagine how much better they will be with a Canon DSLR. Also, 18 MP, the deal with two lenses, 18-55 and 55-250 for $850 is great.<br>

I have been comparing Nikon vs Canon for a long time without owning a Canon DSLR. Now, with current prices It was the right time. Money is an issue when you have to buy an additional camera that you may not need anyway, but certainly want to use. I hope you understand.</p>

<p>Henry Posner: Yes, but which, with same features and power of the 43OEX. I may nead to do some research.</p>

<p>I would have gotten the t3i over the t2i. It's not that much more. The pop up flash supports wireless flash in E-TTL. <br>

Nikon bodies have a built in flash commander. The only Canon bodies with that type of support is the T3i, 60D, and the 7D. The only other Canon devices that can act as the master is the 580ex and the ST-E2.<br>

This way, you don't have to buy additional equipment to get the flash off the body later on. Keep in mind that you will have to have direct line of sight in an open field. Indoors, the bounce flash will trigger the slave.</p>

<p>Nida,</p>

<p> The Yongnuo YN-560 which has been out for a while can be had from the factory store on e-bay for around $80.00. Here is a link to a review of it http://speedlights.net/2010/07/14/yongnuo-yn-560-speedlite-review/<br>

They have also just released an upgraded version the YN-565 which costs about twice as much has only been available for a few days, and looks like a direct clone of the Canon 580 EX II. The major difference other than costing a third as much is that the 565 does not act as a master/commander unit to control other speedlites, and does not do High speed sync.</p>

<p>My first ETTL flash was one for my XTi --for $100, it bounced, swiveled, had a built in bounce card, and diffuser, plus had a optical slave mode, and was fully manually adjustable (though the buttons aren't as nice as Canon's) with a decent LCD on the back. I've paid 4-5 times as much for Canon 580s and 550s and 430s, but it is still the best bang for the buck I've ever spent. Obviously that's a few years ago now so I'm sure they've changed the lines, but it was nearly identical to the Bower (SFD926C) sold currently- available on ebay everywhere. (even though it was marketed as a digital concepts/zeikos then)</p>

<p>Here's a possible way to get a 430ex ii for $224+tax:</p>

<p>http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3214064<br>

Read the thread because the deal requires some work, but that best slickdealers don't mind it.</p>

<p>If you've never been to slickdeals here is what the abbreviations mean:<br>

PM = Price Match<br>

B&M = Brick & Mortat - Physical store<br>

AC = After Coupon<br>

YMMV = Your mileage May Vary -The deal might be specific to certain stores/managers.</p>

<p> </p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>Ok guys, still with the flash connundrum.<br /> Finally I have the T2i. The 18-55 had some spots on the lens so I had to return the kit, re-order, etc...<br /> And I have and three off brand OLD FLASHES form the past era that I want to test before I buy a 430 EX or the Sunpak or YongNuo YN-468 . I am sure they are not, but how can I use them? Are they past history? Should I sell them on eBay, trash them?<br /> They are a Vivitar "electronic flash 2000 a Vivitar 283 brick and a Sunpak auto 144. I have used them all with a G10 with varied results, but I am weary of using them on the T2i. Also, silly question... How do I make any of these trigger on the T2i? Let me explain.This, is a basic question I don't have the answer for. That bad.<br /> There is no control for a flash <em>that is not Canon. IF I PUT IT ON THE HOT SHOE, It is detected as a non-canon and the controls for a flash unit are not available...How do I tell the camera to activate the flash? I used different settings and they sometimes trigger and others they don't. You have permission to laugh or grin. Thank you.</em><br /> <em>I tried using them off camera, on a bracket, with a thyristor and firing them with the in-camera flash but the results are not that good. I get better shots without any flash. The idea is to have enough light for crisp photos using the 55-250 with a Raynox converter for macros. (?) Good idea? Bad idea?<br /></em><br /> <em>(I have never used flash much).<br /></em><br /> <em><br /></em><br /> <em> </em>I hope someone comes by and can add some detail for me here.</p>