what to bring for NZ trip

sheryl_bury_michals

<p>In the past, I've always carried my Canon 40D, my Canon 17-40 and 70-300/4 lenses, and sometimes the Tamron Aspherical 28-200. I now have a 24-70/2.8 and a few primes (35/1.8 and 50/2). I do not plan to take my heavier lenses (the 100-400/4-5.6 and 70-200/2.8, which I use for rugby matches here in Chicago), since I'll be gone 3 weeks and want to not have extra weight to lug about, besides the 2 suitcases and the small laptop my husband and I will also be bringing.<br>

What would be best lens-wise - 2 lenses and a flash, or 3 lenses? I was thinking either the 24-70 or 17-40 and the 70-300 - I would think some of the lenses would be a bit of overlap .<br>

also, my 40D on my last overseas trip crapped out, so if you have a suggestion for a backup smaller camera(as in a high-Megapixel) point and shoot, that would be great too - just so I have it in case, god forbid, I encounter the same problem. My brother had one on the previous trip I too. so that saved the trip.<br>

This is a combo Rugby World Cup/vacation to NZ/early 20th anniv. trip, so any advice would be helpful.</p>

<p>1. Bring all the lenses - put your husband to work carrying the ones you don't want to or can not carry. After 20 years I am sure that he owes you at least that.<br>

2. If your husband will not or can not carry some of your burden, bring what you normally use. You most likely will be shooting the same types of photographs that you shoot back in Chicago unless you are going somewhere unique in which case one additional special lens for that place or situation would most likely be appropriate.<br>

3. Have your camera checked out before you go if it has been awhile since yours was repaired.</p>

<p>I'd say definitely bring the 17-40 as there're lots of landscapes you don't want to miss.<br /> After all, NZ is mostly about landscapes. I'm not familiar with 70-300/4, but your 70-200 would do justice to what NZ has to offer. YMMV, but I went with the following Nikon set (on a FF body):</p>

<ol>

<li>16-35/4</li>

<li>50/1.4 (didn't get a lot of use)</li>

<li>70-200/2.8 II</li>

</ol>

<p>Yes, together with a heavy tripod, water, rain jacket etc it makes for quite a heavy backpack - but no pain - no gain, you know ;-)</p>

<p>P.S. make sure to concentrate on the South Island - it's waaaay more beautiful and gets even more beautiful as you move south!</p>

<p>Enjoy!</p>

<p>Jean<br /> www.photoprospect.com</p>

<p>EDIT: photo caption should read "Glendhu Bay, Wanaka Lake"</p><div>00ZCuJ-390881584.jpg.41d6730c0b51c7fd6c5617e9c3e9f96b.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks for all the info -<br>

It sounds like I'll be bringing the ones I'll use most - the 70-300/4, the 17-40/4, and the 28-70/2.8 for lower light scenes. And a flash too it looks like. Should all fit in my Lowerpro backpack with no problems - and that fits under most airplane seats too.<br>

to answer everyone's questions:<br>

DAVE: I'm going Sep. 6-26. Will be hitting both islands, seeing 3 Rugby World Cup matches, but have 2 weeks in between to see the country in its glory. Going to: Dunedin, Queenstown, Wellington, Napier, Taupo (staying with my husband's rugby coach's parents there), and Auckland. Though I think Rotorua may be in the mix too. Also doing my first fishing trip ever in Lake Taupo.<br>

SUE: I heard NZ's had major snow, black ice and the like from our coach's parents - so warm clothing is in order for sure. I know it's early spring when we go, so layers sound like a good plan.<br>

Allen: when the 40D crapped out, it was in Nov. '08, I had it fixed immediately when I got back from the Benelux countries. Been working fine ever since. It's kind of like that with all the Canons I've had - they crap out once under warranty, then work fine ever since. Not to worry about my husband carrying stuff - he does that a bit for rugby matches here at home. Plus we're bringing a small laptop too, so I can process the photos while there (have external hard drive in tow)</p>

<p>If that's your plan, you'll have some flexibility on what you see, and how much time you see it. As far as gear, I would take the 17-40 and the 70-300. I'm not sure you need a fast 2.8, and the 24-70 lens range is probably redundant. Landscapes are wonderful there, and you will kick yourself if you don't have something at least modestly wide (wider than 20mm, I think). I'd want a tripod, too. But if you don't typically use one, don't bring one.<br>

If you have time, make sure you see Milford Sound. It is a highlight for many visitors, and there are plenty of ways to see it. I personally found Rotorua to be a bit of a let down. The "cultural dinners" were hokey and the geothermal stuff wasn't great (especially true if you've been to Yellowstone). Auckland was OK, but the sights were not much to speak of. The south island is where the action is. </p>

<p>More info - great<br>

Dave: So I've heard about South Island - we're going to try to make a point to do Milford Sound, since I've heard quite a bit about it and how fabulous it is. I was going to take the 17-40 and 70-300 anyways. I guess the issue would be speed, esp. at night, since both lenses run about 3.5-4, which may be a bit slow. May bring the flash then instead of the 24-70/2.8. May try to find a small tripod too.<br>

I may be doing some fishing in Lake Taupo too, so I hope to catch a fish - and get it on camera too! I heard a lot of great things about Wellington and Queenstown, so I'm a bit psyched to see those cities.<br>

Ray: since we're kind of limited to what we're bringing weight-wise, I didn't want to lug a tripod around, since the ones I have are fairly weighty and cumbersome. If I can find a small one, then I may go that route.<br>

anybody have any suggestions for a decent point and shoot camera? My husband's not the photo fanatic I am, he would prefer something simpler. But I would like decent megapixel resolution and not too bulky. I thought the Canon Elph series may be a possibility...... </p>

<p>A couple of comments:<br>

Regarding Wellington and Queenstown - I'd choose Q-town 10/10 times. And while in Q-town, do yourself a favor and drive for 30 minutes towards Glenorchy to Bennett's Bluff. Really amazing place, though the wind is very strong.<br>

Regarding P&S, I'd recommend looking onto Olympus EP-L1 ($400). Bigger than ELPH, but still realtively compact - and IQ is in DSLR league.<br>

If shooting landscapes, I say tripod is a must. I'd strongly a polarizing filter and - in case you're not planning to shoot HDR - a square GND filter (even a cheap Cokin one will do you a great service).<br>

Jean</p>

<div>00ZF2i-392993684.jpg.ad4ad3511dbf631ed67d4785e7e00599.jpg</div>