Fujica Half 1.9 needing work on and help!!

<p>I just picked up a fujica half 1.9. The film advance lever only moves about 10 degrees and I feel that it has to be with it being gummed up. I have read many things online and couldn't figure out how to get inside of the camera to maybe clean it out or fix it. And also I was wondering what kind of film would be used.</p>

<p>Have you tried just removing the lever first? I can't think of what would be gumming up the advance though. It's probably a mechanical fault or something is jammed.<br>

Have you read the manual yet: <a href="http://www.butkus.org/chinon/fujica/fujica_half/fujica_half.htm">http://www.butkus.org/chinon/fujica/fujica_half/fujica_half.htm</a> ?</p>

<p>Also the meter will work with films up to ASA200. So I guess choose any film you want that is ASA200 or slower.</p>

<p>Mark, you and he are not newbies. This is against site policy since this is an archived site. Think of how useless this site would become if everybody posted everything on any possibly relevant forum.<br>

Second, the OP already posted it twice before you told him to do it again.<br>

Now we seem finally to be down to just one.</p>

<p>I ain't mad at anybody, just disappointed when people treat this wonderful site under the gentle guidance of the Great Leader of Photokistan, Josh, as though it were some fly-by-night tweet site.</p>

<p>Will you still respect the site in the morning?</p>

<p>Sorry for the cross posting. You learn from mistakes and I well learn of this. I apologize. But I have read the manual and it didn't help. When you say remove the lever.. I am sitting here looking at the camera and cannot figure out how to take anything apart except the front lens by sticking a paperclip in the two small holes and screwing it out. Are the two holes on top of the film advanced lever like that also? Thanks for the help and I do apologize again. </p>

<p>You'll need to get a small pin spanner or run the risk of scratching or otherwise mutilating everything you try to remove. But yes the cap on top of the lever has those little holes so that it can be unscrewed with a spanner.<br>

If you haven't been inside of cameras before this one is probably not a good first one to learn on.</p>

<p>The shutter could be tensioned but is gummed up and stuck. Therefor the shutter can't be released and the advance lever can't be moved. I've seen this condition in a couple of my old half frame Olympus Pen VF cameras when they arrived from the sellers. On one camera a ham fisted goon had tried to force the advance wheel and had bent a follow on arm inside the camera. In that repair I had to bend the arm back to the correct angle besides disassembling and cleaning the Copal shutter. Your Fujica uses a leaf shutter and if the camera has been sitting for a long time it's a good bet it is gummed up and needs to be cleaned. That is a job I would leave to a professional. Yeah, I know, I cleaned my own 7 speed, 5 blade Copal shutter. But that was a two day excerice in very vexing work I don't think I would attempt it on the more complex shutter in a Fujica. So, this could involve much more than a stuck advance lever.</p>

<p>JDM,<br>

My last on this as it's getting rather meta and OT.<br>

A misplaced question may well never get answered either way, and I did not know that he posted in other than Film and Processing (how could I when I only regularly come to CMC?). The limitations of this site aren't anything I have knowledge of. It was a mistake and people should be allowed a mistake, even here. </p>

<p>JDM: it is difficult to know where to post a question sometimes when one does not find a direct route to what their looking for, I have looked for help many a time but have found it ,but if there is a section for questions about repairs for older cameras , I have not found it , sorry JDM but it is a small<br>

problem for some of us : Have a good day Now Lauren</p>

<p>Nathan, have you made sure there's not a roll of film in the camera?</p>

<p>I also advocate a professional CLA (clean, lubricate and adjust) by a competent professional. In my experience and opinion most do-it-yourself-ers lack the ability and/or tools to do a CLA properly, and even if they get the thing back together without damaging it or losing parts, the results are substandard.</p>