used MF dealers USA

neil_grant

<p>I have purchased used gear from KEH, B&H, and Adorama. Each of them has provided very good service. It's a shame that someone had to even bring up the religious beliefs of the owners at B&H and Adorama. KEH is closed on Sundays. Should I complain about them being Christian? Yes, I can place on on-line order with KEH on Sunday, but it won't get shipped til Monday plus I don't think that their inventory system gets updated until the next business day.</p>

<p >quote "<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=18134">Ferdi Stutterheim</a> <a href="../member-status-icons"></a>, Aug 08, 2011; 10:25 a.m.</p>

<p>Shipping from Atlanta (KEH) will probably be more than $100 (using UPS) and H.M. excise-men will charge you 20% VAT on the purchase price plus shipping and may be some duties. It makes sense only for items that are absolutely unobtainable in the EC and you have to be quite sure you are not going to send them back for any reason. In that case you will be out of pocket for an awful lot of money. KEH will not repair items sold to international customers anyway for duty and tax reasons. I have purchased from KEH's and was happy with their service. I did not go for any "bargains" though. Shipping from New York usually is somewhat cheaper."<br>

I have a rely bad experience with KEH, and for sure will avoid them if there is any other option. Beginning this year I have ordered for over 1000$ worth of Mamiya equipment that was described Excellent condition. (Mamiya RZ67, 50mm, 90mm, two backs) Now after trying to service RZ67 (in Croatia and Slovenia) because of faulty shutter I have just received new body from Japan over Ebay that forks perfectly. I did not send it back as the shipment and possible new custom fee would be more than this new (second hand) body. (Sorry for my bad English ;) ) </p>

<p>Mladen,</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I did not send it back as the shipment and possible new custom fee would be more than this new (second hand) body.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You cannot get charged customs fees twice on the same item, if you send it back for repair. You just include the returns paperwork with the item and your customs receipt from the first time you received it. There is no transaction taking place (ownership of the item is not being transferred) so you are safe to do this without charges.</p>

<p>A reputable dealer who sells you a faulty item may also refund you the shipping fees for return, if their policy includes liability for sending out faulty items.</p>

<p>I was not aware that "KEH will not repair items sold to international customers anyway for duty and tax reasons" - that is surprising and alarming if it's really the case!</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Also consider Canada...Henry's has been a good dealer for me.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I haven't had very good luck buying used MF equipment from Henry's.<br>

My first MF camera, a Yashica Mat 124G, which I purchased at Henry's, came with a battery included. Unfortunately, the battery had leaked all over the battery compartment. I brought it back to Henry's and they cleaned it up and it worked fine.<br>

My next experience was worse. After purchasing a Mamiya 645 1000S body from an eBay seller, I went to Henry's and purchased an AE prism, lens, and film insert for the Mamiya. The film insert didn't work. I returned the next day and was given a replacement. The lens focus ring seized-up in less than a week. I returned it and got a refund. The AE prism didn't work and went in for repair twice, after which I was eventually given a refund.<br>

Aside from Henry's unsuccessful attempts to repair the AE prism, I have no complaint about Henry's response to the problems I experienced, but it would have been a lot easier on both myself and Henry's if they had done a thorough job checking out their used gear before they sold it.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<blockquote>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=488512">Ray Butler</a> You cannot get charged customs fees twice on the same item, if you send it back for repair.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Just to update my earlier post why shipping back to KEH isn't an option, package from Zagreb Croatia to Atlanta USA via DHL, of 3,5 kg (~7 pounds) cost 1209,27kn (217,18 USD) and 4kg (~8 pounds) cost 1316,45kn (236,43 USD). I'm not sure but i presume that the Mamiya rz67 + 50mm + 90mm + two 120 backs + packing would be around that weight. So as can be seen sending faulty equipment by KEH to Croatia is good way to get rid of faulty equipment without the worry that somebody would send it back to them. I am perfectly happy with the one I bought on eBay that with shipping to Croatia cost me 200 USD (160+40 USD). My experience with KEH as you can see is a bitter one and I would not recommend anyone to buy from them. Maybe if you live in USA.</p>

<p>Mladen, I believe you are being very unfair to KEH by suggesting that they purposefully ship defective equipment overseas "without the worry that somebody would send it back to them".</p>

<p>KEH ships worldwide to many satisfied customers. It wouldn't do them any good to adopt a policy such as you are suggesting. Buying on eBay, while it can be safe, is far more risky than buying from KEH. The same goes for used equipment from B&H or Adorama. Both companies are safer than eBay.</p>