Current CF card very cold weather performance?

<p>I have been using Sandisk Extreme III cards and they seem to do well in temps to 30 below zero.(farenheit) Not out in colder(to 43 below) as that is usually middle of the night.<br>

Any newer cards with similar performance?<br>

The cameras have a slot for SD SDHC cards as well. At times in this very cold weather here it would be nice for peace of mind to write to both cards. Will need to get cards with a faster write time as what I have is slow so only use them occasionally, keep the CF cards as the main memory.<br>

Anything out there match or beat the Sandisk Extreme III cards in cold weather ratings or performance?<br>

Am in North Dakota and winter is a fact of life. Can't let it stop me from photographing so good cards go hand in hand with extra sets of batteries and not taking a lens from shooting outdoors into an ice fishing shack. </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"Anything out there match or beat the Sandisk Extreme III cards in cold weather ratings or performance?"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I've never seen a card with temperature ratings. </p>

<p>The fact that it works when you pull out the camera at -30F and able to take a shot successfully doesn't necessarily mean any part of the gear is therefore rated to work at that temperature. In order to be certified, the gear must be at equilibrium at the specified temperature and perform to spec., guaranteed.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

I've never seen a card with temperature ratings.

</blockquote>

<strong>SanDisk Extreme® Pro™ SDHC™ UHS-I card</strong>

<ul>

<li><strong>Operating temperature:</strong> -13ºF to 185ºF (-25ºC to 85ºC)</li>

<li><strong>Storage temperature:</strong> -40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC)</li>

</ul>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=423056">Michael Chang</a> wrote:<br>

>I've never seen a card with temperature ratings.<br>

>The fact that it works when you pull out the camera at -30F and able to<br>

>take a shot successfully doesn't necessarily mean any part of the gear is<br>

>therefore rated to work at that temperature. In order to be certified, the<br>

>gear must be at equilibrium at the specified temperature and perform to<br>

>spec., guaranteed.<br>

So what happens if one pulls the card from a warm place (say an inner pocket or gloved hand) & inserts it into the camera. Is that unworkable due to condensation in the camera on the card or when placed back in the area of warmth?<br>

Some very non digital information that you may find interesting:<br>

When I worked on the Alaskan Pipeline & @ Prudhoe Bay ('76 -'82), I carried a Canon F1 w/ a varitiey of lenses. I had my camera & lenses serviced by Canon for cold weather usage (IIRC). But the center piece of my frozen strategy was a Sekonic L397? (again IIRC) (the totally analog incident meter, same as a Norwood Director). Neither the camera, lenses, meter were affected by the usual -10F sometimes as low as -40F. There was a coin cell in the F1, but it didn't seem to matter. I usually based my Kodachrome exposures directly on the reading of the Sekonic. When warranted I compensated it's recommendation. I've read that one should not use the direct exposure from an incident meter on snow or white sand. It's never made any sense to me. I think I have the results to prove my point. I seen no reason to doubt that the exposure indicated when pointed @ the camera is correct most of the time. What one should not trust, IMO, is the direct exposure from a reflected meter weather in the camera or handheld. I've never tried matrix exposure on snow or wh. sand. It may work.<br>

Hope some may have found this of interest, JD</p>