Nikon 105mm f/2.8g macro

brandon_wolter

<p>Brandon, it is a superb portrait lens. Sharp, and particularly good bokeh to make the subject stand out against the background. I really like the 105mm lenses for both FX and DX shooting. It is a very comfortable distance. I prefer the 85mm on the DX format, but that's just my opinion. And a Micro Nikkor takes fine pics of just about everything too. It's just that it is well corrected and suited for Macro work.</p>

<p>It is,as the others said, a razor sharp lens. But that is often a double edged sword. I use the lens to shoot portraits on a D3 and find that when my subject is a woman of a certain age, I often find that I need to soften the facial features. I began using this lens on film bodies and before computers allowed the photographer to alter images at will. I found that mounting a Softar filter (you young uns might have to look that up) or wrapped a pair of pantyhose over the lense or smeared some vaseline on an old UV filter in order to not highlight the wrinkles, crows feet, age lines etc on a mature woman.<br>

Now we just shoot away and press a few buttons and viola - instant soft skin. Guess my point is that if you are shooting someone much older than late 30's, your subject will appreciate your not showing just how sharp that sucker is.</p>

<p>You can always soften in LR.</p>

<p>You can also consider the older 105 f2.8 AF micro. This screwdrive (non AF-S) lens can be had used for much less $$$ (maybe $350) and has the advantage of a "built-in hood" in that the front element is recessed in the barrel.</p>

<p>Of all the lenses I bought in 1993, this is the one that continues to be a workhorse and for which I have no desire to upgrade or replace.</p>

<p>I will only observe that the all-time classic Nikkor 105mm lens, the legendary 105mm f/2.5 is actually surprisingly inexpensive, especially in non-AI form, but some feel that the later iterations in AI and such are even better, and they are often sold for very reasonable prices.</p>

<p>I actually paid more for a Micro 105mm f/4 than I did for a f/2.5. For portrait work, I personally would much rather use the f/2.5, and not because it is less "sharp", by any means.</p>

<p>When I bought mine I did so because I considered it a triple duty lens. Macro, Portrait and low light. Don't underestimate the fact that it is an f2.8 lens with vr. I observed some fringing in high contrast shots, but basically I am very pleased with it.</p>

It is an ok multipurpose short tele. Not the best macro lens there is (but a good one), not the best portrait lens (too contrasty,

saturated, and with bitingly sharp facial blemishes, but good bokeh and excellent focusing accuracy) not the best landscape lens (but

quite decent anyway). For each of these tasks separately, a better lens can be found (by spending in some cases, a lot of money),

but the 105 VR is a good compromise.

• 2 weeks later...