how do i go about becoming a professional photographer

parker_levinson

In 10 grade I took a photo of a girl in class; and gave it to her the next day. One week later she called up and wanted me to photograph "Miss XXX High" for the local beauty contest; and for a column photo for the newspaper. ALL the local photographers could not shoot and do a photo on quick notice (same day shoot and print deliver); so my friend called me. I met the beauty and my friend at the local marina; and shot one roll of film; and selected the one for the newspaper. I told her 5 dollars; but when done I told her mom 10 dollars; because it was alot more work than I had thought. I underexposed alot of the roll by one stop; and had to used harder paper to get a decent print. The 10th grade mind was awash in bombshell fanatasies; with hormones more than brains; and goofed by a stop; yuk underexposure!! The giant 5x7 enlarger had different condensors for roll film; they were not clean! I got streaks from the smaller condensers; with the point light source enlarger. The streaks showed up in the prints; and I didnt know what they were from! After several/too many tries; I found what the problem was. I removed the streakes by dodging them out while printing for the mums and newspapers photo. That night I found the streaks on the condensors; after a almost missed deadline. Minimum wage was 75 cents/hour; I felt the 10 bucks was OK to photograph the bombshell of the school on a moments notice.<BR><BR>The reality of a tight deadline is a interesting teacher.

First off, do you 'take' images than can sell? Do you have potential 'clients' lined up? Do you have a couple of extra bodies and lenses (for the sake of backup?)

Do you have a portfolio of your work to show a new customer?

If yes to all of the above, you are ready for the quarterly federal income tax hit parade, a sales tax license, and a bit of record keeping from 1 Jauanary to 31 December.

Good luck!

Emerson's advise should be heeded. You will need business

skills more than photography skills. There are many talented

photographers who fall flat on their face when it comes to

running a business. The photography skills can be developed

over time, the business skills are not nearly as easy to

develop...get yourself a degree in Marketing or Entrepenuereal

Studies ... this education will be a much bigger help to you than a

photography degree.