Is the iMac even worth it over the Mac Mini?

<p>As far as storage goes, I'll be throwing up a NAS as the first priority. Currently storing on two 1TB externals, but want to switch to a RAID 5 NAS with a four+ drive setup. Haven't figured out an enclosure yet, and it is definitely going to suck up funds. I don't like storing it internally on one computer since I have a habit of using a few different ones, and switch ever 2 to 4 years (I'll be pushing 4 on the current laptop).</p>

<p>I'm actually at a stage where I am completely redoing my budget, so making a roadmap of equipment is a crucial element. That is why this question came up to me. But it sounds like it is an iMac or some kind of PC.</p>

Was looking at the Amazon specs of the Mac Mini I just ordered and noticed it uses a low wattage power supply which usually means it runs a bit cooler hopefully. Just hope CD/DVD discs don't get super hot to the touch after long play like it did on my G5 iMac.

<p>

Now I don't think this has a lot to do with the PS anyway because I noticed each G5 iMac component like the optical drive and hard drive ran very hot to the touch using a 180 watt power supply. I tested this by removing the iMac hard drive and putting it in a firewire enclosure and noticed the iMac's 160GB Seagate HD got very hot compared to the non-Apple brand 160GB Seagate HD that came with the enclosure which was just warm.

<p>

Any Mac Mini owners experience hot CD/DVD discs after a long play?

<p>I think the iMacs are blessed with glossy screens now. My older monitors were all 'matte' finish.</p>

<p>Looking at pictures on the screen is like looking a glossy prints instead of matte prints on photopaper. The blacks and colors are gorgeously rich.</p>

<p>I worried about the reflections a little, but it turns out not to be a problem at all.</p>

"Was looking at the Amazon specs of the Mac Mini I just ordered and noticed it uses a low wattage power supply

which usually means it runs a bit cooler hopefully. Just hope CD/DVD discs don't get super hot to the touch after long

play like it did on my G5 iMac.

Now I don't think this has a lot to do with the PS anyway because I noticed each G5 iMac component like the optical

drive and hard drive ran very hot to the touch using a 180 watt power supply. I tested this by removing the iMac hard

drive and putting it in a firewire enclosure and noticed the iMac's 160GB Seagate HD got very hot compared to the

non-Apple brand 160GB Seagate HD that came with the enclosure which was just warm.

Any Mac Mini owners experience hot CD/DVD discs after a long play?"

The new Mac Mini doesn't have an optical drive of any sort.

<blockquote>

<p>"Was looking at the Amazon specs of the Mac Mini I just ordered and noticed it uses a low wattage power supply which usually means it runs a bit cooler hopefully. Just hope CD/DVD discs don't get super hot to the touch after long play like it did on my G5 iMac.<br>

Now I don't think this has a lot to do with the PS anyway because I noticed each G5 iMac component like the optical drive and hard drive ran very hot to the touch using a 180 watt power supply. I tested this by removing the iMac hard drive and putting it in a firewire enclosure and noticed the iMac's 160GB Seagate HD got very hot compared to the non-Apple brand 160GB Seagate HD that came with the enclosure which was just warm.<br>

Any Mac Mini owners experience hot CD/DVD discs after a long play?"<br>

The new Mac Mini doesn't have an optical drive of any sort.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Wouldn't the temperature depend on proper airflow within the case? not a power supply?</p>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

To answer those that responded to my heat issues with the Mac Mini...

<p>

Tom, I meant the owners of Mac Mini's that came with optical drives since there were a few in this thread that mentioned owning previous generations. Still hoping someone reports about whether their CD/DVD discs are hot to the touch after ejecting.

<p>

Bob, hoped from what I indicated about the heat issue of the G5 iMac I meant to point out it's not the ventilation that's the issue, but the electronics of each individual component that causes the heat even within the same brand. Not all components such as the hard drive in the firewire enclosure runs hot as opposed to the same brand of hard drive in the G5 iMac which ran VERY hot on its own. I was mistaken that the ventilation system of the iMac to be the cause for my components heat issues. It's the particular build quality of the electronics and other hardware components that causes heat.

<p>

From what I've researched online from owners who bought replacement components for their PC's and Mac's this turns out to be true. For instance hard drives that are made with special (expensive) bearing assemblies exhibited far less heat than the regular cheaper variety, but that was only one person's account.

<blockquote>

<p>The Mini is a fine small computer. It is truly a computer not meant to do any heavy lifting -- like image processing.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's seems to be confusing because I see statements like this about the mac mini and then I also see where others run Photoshop on the mac mini and are satisfied. The iMac looks great, but I don't want to wear my sunglasses while processing my images. Apple likes shiny, not matte. I am leery about shiny screens.</p>

>>> The iMac looks great, but I don't want to wear my sunglasses while processing my images. Apple

likes shiny, not matte. I am leery about shiny screens.

After going glossy, I would not want to go back. Sunglasses are not necessary. Just turn the brightness

down...

www.citysnaps.net

If the Mac Mini can't do heavy lifting of image processing then it can only be as good as my 2004 G5 iMac which wasn't very fast, but did get the job done. I guess everyone has a different idea of what's considered heavy lifting by a computer. How fast is fast on a computer before it's considered a heavy lifter?

<p>

But really, Linda, if you can afford a new iMac, get it. I got the Mac Mini because it was at a good price on Amazon and I already have a 22" monitor, keyboard and mouse and don't need the horsepower and dedicated video of an iMac.

<p>

From what I saw at Best Buy, the iMac screens are sharp and very high def (much more than an HDTV) and the colors just gorgeous. You have to see it to appreciate it. I may end up getting one if this Mac Mini from Amazon's store turns out NOT to be a new unopened box item. I know it's taking forever getting here which makes me think it's from some third party supplier I'm not familiar with.