Using old unexposed film

<p>I got out of shooting film a few years ago, and was considering doing it again, since I have around 30 film cameras which I miss using. I dont develop my own film - but send it to a lab.<br>

I have around 40 or 50 rolls of color 35mm and medium format film (negative not slide) sitting it a cabinet. It has not been kept cool. Kodak/Fuji/Agfa/Ilford. Most was purchased in 2006<br>

Should it all be dumped? What are the risks of developing it?</p>

<p>Most of it will probably be ok...minor color shift perhaps, but mostly correctable in the printing process or if you scan the negatives in normal post processing. Probably best success if you include a gray card in one or more shots of each roll.</p>

<p>by all means use it!<br />But do yourself a big favor - learn yourself to develop film.... and get a scanner, you can pick up a flatbed scanner that will scan your films cheaply, I got a canoscan 8800F, current model is 9000F, it will do 135, 120 negqatives and even larger, both negative and positive, as well as prints and pictures.<br>

I develop films - which is very simple and rewarding. B&W film gets Rodinal these days, which still is available, color films gets developed in Cafenol which is a DIY developer, mixed from ingredients you buy in the mall, and I get B&W negatives, or you can still pick up developer kits for C41 color negatives, developing color is actually simpler (two bath process) than B&W (3 bath process).<br>

Your films will be nearly like new, I just got 60 rolls of Kodak Gold on €bay, all exvcellent. Good luck.</p>

<p>Black and white should be fine. Color should be Ok, but as was already mentioned, colors might be off a bit -- which shouldn't be a problem with digital processing. Try using a few sample rolls first.</p>

<p>There's nothing wrong with using a lab. Like many of my generation, I went through an early self-processing phase, but once I got past that, I enjoyed decades of just taking the pictures.</p>

<p>Sounds good, the 35mm is 200 or 400, the medium format is 160<br>

I have an Epson 4990 Scanner and had tried in the past to scan existing negatives, the strip holder wasnot great at handling the curl so I gave up and had a lab scan them.<br>

I bought an improved adapter from BetterScanning.com http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/models/4490.html - but by the time I got it, I had moved away from film, so maybe I will try it again.</p>

<p>It all depends on your tolerance and your need. Virtually all of it will be good enough to practice composition. Virtually none of it will be good enough to yield an image that will win a competition. Between these two points there is a lot of room. With 400 and 800 speed film, I can see a difference between fresh film and film that is near its expiration date. If I'm shooting a subject I care about, I wont use 800 speed film that ONLY has 6 months until it expires. Sure I could get good pictures out of it, but I can get better pictures with fresh film. </p>

<p>I decided to get back into film a few months back. When I took my film camera out of the closet it had a new roll of film in it. While I was cleaning the out side , I moved the film advance lever and the rewind lever moved also. It had been in the closet about 6 or 7 years. All I knew was the ISO was set at 200.I thought what the heck I'll use it for practice and shot the roll. When it was developed the images were alright. I shot it not expecting to get anything. I was pleasantly surprised .<br>

I also found a roll of photoworks film in a kitchen drawer that had to be over 10. I shot it also, practicing on the dogs and a granddaughters 4th birthday party ISO 400 it turned out better than expected also. Tho to be honest any thing in a print other than solid black would have been a surprise. Either would have been fine for family get together shots.</p>

<p>I'm not as optimistic as the other responders about the condition of your colour negative film. I recently finished a roll of colour negative film that was purchased 6 or 7 years ago. I think it was either Konica or Fuji film. The resulting prints of photos taken at that time were okay, although the colour looked a bit weird. The new photos I took near the end of the film, however, seemed to be grossly underexposed, and had streaking. It seemed that the film had lost sensitivity over time. I would suggest trying a roll and seeing if the results are to your taste. If so, go ahead and use it. But for critical work you might want to consider fresh film.</p>

<p>Since it is all negative, you can use it at half it speed rating just as extra safety measure; but I've used film over 10 years old that I found in travel bags with no problem at all.</p>

<p>Especially if it is low speed and was kept in a dark cool room in the house (though not refrigiretated) it should be fine.</p>

<p>As usual, shoot one of each at different speed ratings and compare results with your notes if time allows.</p>

• 2 weeks later...