Nikon Wednesday 2011: #30

Matt Laur

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>It has been a few months since I have made a contribution to Nikon Wednesday. It felt good to get my camera out and take a short hike up the canyon.<br>

My wife and I hiked part of the Red Pine Lake Trail up Little Cottonwood Canyon on the Wasatch Front. This photo was shot at the 1 mile junction point of the hike which splits the trail into two different hikes. I took about 20 pictures here adjusting exposure and shutter speeds and this is the photo I liked the best.</p><div>00Z6K3-383847584.jpg.b026de9b326c10fbf2c1362c9517f0ac.jpg</div>

<p>Last Friday was hot here is DC with a new record, but<br />despite the afternoon 105% the funerals at Arlington National Cemetery<br />continued on schedule as always.<br>

The honor guard wear their wool uniforms with the appearance of cool detachment.<br>

This is more of a snapshot photo than I usually present, but<br />as we waited for the arrival of the family to the Old Administration bldg one of the stable<br />hands made the trip from the barn with buckets of water to cool the horses. One<br />of those things that's over and above what's expected of them but they are<br />devoted to the well-being of the horses and their job honoring American<br />veterans.<br>

I spoke to the family members traveling back to Oklahoma<br />Monday night and the widow told me she spent the night in the hospital<br />afterwards from a combination of the stress of heat, humidity and grief.<br>

<br />This was the first burial I've photographed in section 1 which<br />is one of the oldest parts of the cemetery between the Lee mansion and the Fort<br />Myers Old Post Chapel. The family has gravesites there for 4 generations of<br />family members that have served in the U.S. military.<br>

Don Harper</p><div>00Z6KX-383865584.jpg.7584cc08b7a465f62282f566a58ccacc.jpg</div>

<p>A few of my favorites this week are<br>

<strong>Robert Wayt</strong> - I agree that the lines and the colors make this a beautiful photo<br>

<strong>Ray House</strong> - Nicely shot. I like how the flash created a contrast between the foreground and the background.<br>

<strong>Ray RG</strong> - Converting your HDR to B/W really works for me. Very surreal.<br>

<strong>Aquinaldo de Paula</strong> - Beautiful. Now I have the urge to photoshop myself into this scene and enjoy the sunshine. Unfortunatley the only time I have been to Rio was at 2:00am in the morning on a layover many years ago.</p>

<p>Happy Wed. all, yes Matt extreme weather here too in NJ, I was out watering the kitchen AC last week to prevent fail-safe mode, ha-ha.<br /> Trying to catch the mood last night at Starbucks Linden NJ for good friends Mike and Joe in the very accomplished jazz guitar duo "Guitar 2 Guitar".<br /> Nikon D200, ISO 1250, Nikkor older AF 85 f1.8 @ f4, shutter A at 125th? Mild tweaking in PSE6.</p><div>00Z6NP-383931584.jpg.b6263c484bef0224185007321b2c6ceb.jpg</div>

<p>Great photos everyone this week, as always. I'm at work so I haven't had a chance to look at all of them as closely as I'd like yet, so no favorites yet.</p>

<p>Here's my contribution: It's a single frame from what turned out to be a 12"x72" panoramic, and the full scene is much more dramatic. </p><div>00Z6O6-383937584.jpg.c79dd48afd7127d10fd6a1396a95f17d.jpg</div>