Which small manual Nikon?

irvine.short

<p>The 35Ti is indeed a nice camera, but if we complain about the FG as of "inferior" quality in comparison to the F3, there is the same jump from the Ti to the FG... it is a high quality but pretty delicate, flimsy camera in my experience. The lens gets loose with a little use in comparison to e.g. my 35/2 AiS that took many years of abuse to achieve a similar condition.</p>

<p>I understand there are three camera sizes in the Nikon film system. The F series, the EM/FG and all the others. They could seem pretty similar in size or bulk but as Les mention, hanged on the strap around the neck they are different.</p>

<p>If you`re not experienced with the F3, I`d try it first before buying anything else. Once it has been used, it could be the reference for any other camera; they will seem "lower" or with a "wrong" design in comparison. I`d keep the F3 even if you`re tempted about buying a FG.</p>

<p>Just as an idea of shipping from KEH to Cape Town:<br>

$75 to $150 for FedEx or UPS (required if order totals over $1000)<br />(fast, 7 to 10 business days, automatic tracking via email)<br /><br />$54 to $85 for Express Mail<br />(slower 2 to 3 weeks, tracking available one week after shipping)<br /><br />$45 to $54 for Priority Mail (orders totaling under $500 only)<br />(very slow, 3 to 5 weeks, tracking available one week after shipping)</p>

<p>Thoughts so far:<br>

The EM will not do it for me<br>

The FG is very reasonable and nearby. Maybe I will get that and keep the F3 :-)</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"you can easily fix that..."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Actually, the *best way* to fix that is to always carry a spare set of button cells. :)</p>

<p>One of the "quirks" of the FG and weak batteries is that long before you get the mirror stuck up symptom, the batteries will not have enough juice to properly time the electronically timed shutter. The camera will still meter properly and cycle the mirror, but the shutter will fire at 1/90s regardless of the manual or autoexposure shutter speed selected. The bad thing about this is that you will probably only be able to detect this audibly when the selected speed is 1/30s or slower.</p>

<p>Moral of the above - keep fresh batteries in your FG. :)</p>

<p>Why exactly do you want a film body? So if all your CF cards are stolen, you'll still have all your film? Or do you want to travel with the film body and leave the excellent D7k at home? In which case, why not a digital point and shoot? Even the d7k sensor is smaller than 35mm anyway...</p>

<p>Especially for travel, nothing really compares to having a point and shoot (or a tiny RF like the oly 35rc) in your pocket, <em>at all times</em>...</p>

<p><em>“Which small manual Nikon?”</em></p>

<p>Small Nikon mount film cameras:<br>

Nikon EM (this is what I once used)<br>

Nikon N70 (this is what I use now)</p>

<p>Small & Manual Nikon mount film cameras:<br>

Nikon F2 with non-metered DE-1 viewfinder (this is what I use now)<br>

Nikon FM series</p>

<p>I guess you are not a glass wearer like me? Don't know if FG is friendly to glass-wearer, but F3HP is. I found myself frequently grab the lens using my left hand rather than the F3 body when walking with the camera.</p>

<p>Indraneeel: I like to use B&W film for some things as I like to print in my darkroom. I like snapshot film cameras like the Lomo because I "just do." :-)<br>

As for a digital P&S I have a Canon Ixus 70 / SD1000 which is a marvel of engineering but the sensor is not as good as my old A300 - too noisy. And I like to use different cameras on different days - that's just me.</p>

<p>Starvy: Nice try. :-) There are enough stray cameras in my house without going down the Olympus rabbithole as well.</p>

<p>Cheers and thanks again All,</p>

<p>--Irvine</p>

<p>Irvine do you perchance keep an eye on bid or buy? I just picked up a F80 for R200. Just awaiting for it to arive. Not much on right now besides a Nikon F with a 135mm f/2.8. Nice looking Olymus OM-10 for R450 with 2 lenses. And a 50mm f/1.2 Ai that is out of my budget right now.</p>

<p>I've found the FG to be the little camera that could. Its a little plasticky in feel (it is what it is), but it always does everything I asked of it (although at first I thought every time the mirror went up and down I'd have to look for it down the road somewhere - but that was just a matter of very subjective perception). Its small, its light, and is far more capable than most people give it credit for. Mind you - I'm not a Nikon expert by any stretch, so this recommendation is not even Nikon specific as much as just a little camera that pleasantly surprised me regardless of what brand you consider. It would get my vote for sure over the very limiting EM's and FG20's, which really get you nothing in terms of smaller size, but sacrifice a lot of control.</p>