i am thinking of building a large format camera

knifeinthewater

<p>i am thinking about building a large format camera, i want to do a project in large format, but dont have a camera, and dont have the money to buy one. i was thinking about doing something like this, just wanted to ask for advice and comments.</p>

<p>i can buy for very cheap one of these old 120 size cameras which have a lens with a shutter and a bellows. i was thinking if i could somehow dismantle that, and build some sort of back, out of wood that would hold a 4x5 film holder, and then extend and attach the bellows and the lens to that. the lens is 135mm, so it would cover all the film, i wouldnt really have to make any complicated adjustments with regards to the focal measurements or anything. to me, it seems like a pretty straightforward operation, but maybe i am mistaken.</p>

<p>if anyone asks, i have used a large format camera, i use a sinar for some of my schoolwork.</p>

<p>thanks,</p>

<p>oskar</p>

<p>Have a look here for inspiration: <a href="http://www.raymentkirbycameras.co.uk/">http://www.raymentkirbycameras.co.uk/</a> (look through the 'workshop' pages.</p>

<p>Basically, all you need is a box to keep the dark in (or keep the light out) with the film at one end and the lens at the other. The distance between them needs to be the same as it currently is on the folding camera.</p>

<p>As you state the lens is 135mm then I assume it is from one of the older and larger cameras (116/616 film rather than 120) and I think you are right that it will cover 5x4... but probably only just.</p>

<p>Good luck. If you want some CAD files based on Rayment Kirby's design, let me know.</p>

<p>A roll film polaroid that is not model 110, 110A or 110B unless the seller doesn't know the auction value is a good start. You'll have to remove all the innards that pertain to the rollers, guides and pressure plate and build a wooden back that will accomodate a spring back with ground glass and flip up shield to make focus adjustments easier. This should accept two sided standard 4x5 holders. A similar project would involve any of the folding pack film cameras, again except the model 180 or 195 which are very pricey on the auction site. Sometimes you can get lucky and find one of the (5) above mentioned models for short money. The roll film models IMHO are better suited to your plans and are trucklike but more rigid in keeping the lens standard parallel to the film plane. These five models have professional lens/ shutter arrangements to suit your needs. The advantages are decent, supple bellows, beautiful machined parts, build quality!</p>

<p>If you use a 120 camera for parts the lens will be 105mm maximum. A 105mm will not cover 4x5 unless you are doing extreme close ups. You can get a 135mm lens off a 9x12 plate camera which will cover 4x5 basically.</p>

<p>Building a light tight "box" is easy but building a film back to hold the film holder is harder.</p>

<p>I know you say you are low on cash but view cameras are selling cheap. I sold a mint Toyo outfit with a good lens and holders, etc., for under $175. two months ago on the big auction website. Deals like that are going on daily. I have seen some view cameras (without lens) sell in the $50. zone. Easier and more precise than build your own.</p>

<p>the thing is that i am leaving in a little over a week for a month and half long project, and i got this huge urge to shoot it large format, so buying one off ebay would not be an option right now.</p>

<p>thanks everyone for your answers, i looked over the websites and your comments and i think i will give it try.</p>

<p>Sure, you get a piece of 1/8th inch thick (or thinner) Lexan or Plexiglas (or whatever clear plastic you have) and sandpaper it with some 600 sandpaper. Start with 400 sandpaper first. Sand in one direction first, then the other, then diagonally, then swirl it, then finish off by sanding whatever looks like it is going in any direction at all.</p>

<p>So you are leaving in a week and a half, but don't have time to buy a camera? Instead, you want to design, source materials, machine parts, make bellows and assemble an entire camera? Good luck.<br>

Find a Buy It Now camera and lens combination on ebay and have it shipped 2nd day air. By the time the camera arrives, you might have made it part way through the design stage.</p>

<p>Hi Oskar, If money is tight I hope you have looked at cost projections for 'consumables' ie cost of film and, if you are sending it off for development, and maybe printing, those costs too. It can work out quite expensive. It would suck if you blew the last of your money on a camera you made yourself that wasn't really getting the results you want and that you can't afford to use.</p>

<p>Oscar, as others have said, you don't have enough time to learn how to improvise a large format camera for this project. You haven't given us enough information to really help you. Do you need large negatives for esoteric printing? If so, there are ways of making large negatives from images captured with more practical cameras. Do you need the image quality of a carefully operated Sinar? If so, you won't get it by using a 135mm lens from smaller cameras on 4x5 film. Even if you improvise or acquire a camera before the beginning of your project, there is familiarization and testing to be done. <br>

If your project has little to do with the quality of the photographs, but everything to do with the attempt to make them, your ideas may work. If good images are required, a familiar and reliable camera is much better. Resist the urge to experiment with something that sounds better in theory, but is awful in practice.</p>

<p>Not only do you not have time to build a camera, you don't have time to learn how to use it. Even if you had a brand new large format camera sitting in front of you, it takes a while to get used to a new camera, especially since operation of a large format camera is significantly different (loading and unloading film holders, working with dark slides, focusing on the groundglass then inserting holders, manually cocking the shutter, etc. etc.) than what you are used to with smaller format cameras. And once you've got the camera, you're going to need film holders, then hangars and tanks to develop the film. And once you've got your 4x5 negs, you need a 4x5 enlarger and lens and negative carriers.</p>

<p>A 4x5 camera is a simple beast. Find a film holder and a lens. The rest is just a box. I'll send you a slip in ground glass made from a holder if you need it, that will take care of the focusing. Everything else is just plain exciting.</p>

<p>I have built two 4x5 view cameras.<br>

It took me quite a while to sort it out as to how but I used my past experience with wood working and considerable research to get my design.<br>

It is usually a long process especially if you make your own bellows as I did, but the satisfaction of actually maki9ng a view camewra that works is well worth the effort.</p>