filters on Leica M lenses

<p>I bought a couple of Leica original UV filters to protect the front element, and for general use, and have a few yellow and green and others for the usual reasons on B&W film. The same goes for outdoor work with Linhof and Hasselblad - always buying the best quality available and affordable, and the occasional Cokin when needed. I always select the Cokin carefully at the point of purchase.<br /> For indoor work with any of the above, I do not use filters at all, unless a soft or Polarising filter is called for.<br>

If the filter is clean, both sides, and of good quality, there will be no loss of image quality. I also use lens shade where possible with everything, because oblique light hitting dust particles that may appear on the front element or filter would be more of a concern.<br>

Replacing a filter is a whole lot cheaper than a front element on any of your precious lenses.</p>

<p>A good quality filter should not compromise image quality and if the filter's effect enhances the image there's no reason IMO not to use one. When I shot b&w film with my (now sold) M6 I often used a yellow K2 filter. YMMV</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong><br /><strong> </strong></p>

<p> </p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>I always us a UV filter on my lenses when shooting outdoors here in Hawaii. It protects the front element from salt spray, salt laden air, fine volcanic dust particles, (very abrasive), blowing sand, mist, and of course, impact. There are also high levels of UV here. The more you clean your front element, the more you risk scratching it. UV filters are a relatively inexpensive way to protect a lens. Anti-refleciive coatings on older Leica lenses are especially susceptible to damage because their coatings are soft, some especially so. A good quality filter will have no discernible adverse effect to image quality, in my experience, especially if used with a lens shade. I always use a lens shade, too. Image contrast can be markedly improved with the use of a lens hood in bright sunny conditions.</p>

<p>B+W filters are my preference for my Leica lenses which mostly have a 39mm front thread. <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/11956-REG/B_W_65_070061_39mm_Ultraviolet_UV_Filter.html">I buy them from B&H Photo.</a></p>

<p>Leica users have debated this one for years. I used to use protective UV filters, but over the years got out of the habit. These days I only use filters when I desire their specific characteristics...ie a red to darken skies or yellow K2 to slightly enhance skies - on B&W film, or with color film once in a blue moon I'll use a warming filter when I want the effect. Oh yes - I do have an ND filter, but haven't yet used it.</p>

<p>Many M lenses used E39 filters. Most of these were contrast filters for black & white. I've used both yellow and orange filters to bring out the clouds and the uv filter for both color and b&w at high altitudes. The polarizer is very useful in eliminating relections. Leitz made a wide variety of E39 filters and I've used 5 of the 8 that I have (not quite a full set).</p>

<p>I use protective UV or skylight filters on all of my lenses. I usually use the B+W MRC from B&H (free shipping). Adorama has the same policy, but they haven't had them in stock for a while in the 39mm or 46mm sizes. The B+W filters come in your choice of the standard black finish, or a brushed chrome finish if you're trying to match the silver chrome of your lens.</p>

<p>A few years ago, I tried a test with different filters (uncoated, single coated, multicoated) using my Nikon at night. The naked lens was the control situation. Uncoated and single coated filters will ghost with strong street lights. Multicoated filter ghosted and flared the least. Hoya Super HMC was the best, followed by B+W, then Nikon's filters (no longer made). Other than that, there is no image degradation that I can see in normal use. Yes, I pixel peep my Coolscan 5000 scans, so I know what my lenses are doing. I just don't see any degradation from using UV filters in the daytime, or even much of a penalty at night.</p>

<p>While awaiting a new B+W filter to arrive in the mail from B&H (came yesterday), I shot pictures of my 2 year old with a "naked" 8 element Summicron on my M7. This lens just came back from service with Gus Lazzari, and it is clean clean clean! My little guy decided to poke his finger into the lens. Luckily the hood intercepted him, and I pulled back instinctively before he touched the front element. Now this lens has its own filter, and I can shoot pictures of my son without worrying about it.</p>

<p>I agree with Robert, it is always safer to clean the filter instead of the front element, especiually after exposure to inhospitable atmospheres/dust conditions. A friend measures the planar perfection (flatness) of filters using optical methods and says that the top quality filters (Heliopan, B+W/Shneider, Rodenstock, Hoya) provide almost perfect flatness, which, with good multicoating, assures little if any image degradation. A polarizer is often worthwhile, and with B&W film photography, color filters are most useful to creatively modify the light spectrum. </p>

<p>If in doubt and when the picture is too important to risk sny slight degradation, you can always briefly remove and then replace the filter with little fuss. </p>