Best way to store inkjet prints?

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>Apart from framing, what do you suggest is the best way to store inkjet photos so that they can occasionally be viewed whilst keeping them safe from fading etc?</p>

<p>I heard that exposure to air and light are the two biggest factors that contribute to fading/colour changing. I suppose ideally they could go in those type of photo albums that have the peel back plastic sheet. However, I don't like the high gloss plastic over my photos. If a version with matt plastic sheets existed I would be interested.</p>

<p>safe from fading ... any place not in direct sunlight. A Epson print could live up to 100years in color, 200 years in BW.. depend of the paper and printer you use. The only real factor to avoid is over humidity and sunlight.</p>

<p>So anything from a drawer, a box, any kind of container could do in a way. I store mine in a drawer, but most of what i print are in my book or on my wall.</p>

<p>I dont know about matte plastic, but my book is from Pina Zangaro and they make super slim, archival, low reflection acetate to put my print in.. around 50$ for 10 sheet... expensive.. but really good.</p>

<p>A number of vendors sell acid-free boxes in a variety of sizes along with acid-free paper. I get mine <a href="http://www.archivalmethods.com/"><strong>here</strong></a>. The important thing is to have interleaf sheet of paper between each print if you store in a box. If you look for an album, make sure the sleeves are of a non-reactive polymer material (NOT vinyl!). Keeping prints away from light, particularly direct sunlight is the best approach. One other point not mentioned by others is to print on papers that have very low levels (no level is best) of optical brightening agents (OBAs). These agents are fluorescent dyes that decay over time causing color shifts to the paper.</p>

<p>If you are really, really concerned about permanence, the general rule followed in the photo archive and museum world is to make sure that any prints that are dye-based are in contact with acid-free, but not buffered materials. You can get acid-free interleaving papers that are either buffered or not buffered. Silver-based black and white prints benefit from being stored in buffered enclosures, especially in urban environments. As discussed above, dark storage is best for avoiding fading.</p>

<p>Thank you all very much for your responses. I live in the UK so many of the products you suggested won't be available here but I'm sure I'll be able to find similar items. I like the idea of high quality albums or boxes with acid-free paper interleaves. I will look into getting hold of some.</p>