w/nw - ISO 128000!

<p>I'd love to have such high ISOs, but for those of us who grew up on GAF 500 (ISO 500 in modern terms) slide film and thought it was super fast (and knew it was super grainy), this will wait for a new camera when maybe they will go to ISO 500,000.</p>

<p>Surely somebody with a new camera will give us a peek, or are the people who can afford these cameras too hoity-toity to accept the noise that comes with it?</p>

<p>Double-dog-dare!</p>

<p>Do you mean 102400 or 12800? Short of test images, I'm not sure that I've seen much at 102400. My D700 can't go that far, and I usually try not to drift over 6400. If it helps, here's Hi2 (ISO 25600) from a D700 from a post-wedding disco (lit only by coloured spotlights, not on the subjects). 135mm f/2 wide open, and 1/80s. I suspect the autofocus wasn't doing very well in the conditions; I could probably find a less embarrassing example if I hunted for long enough, but I'm going to have to trust you not to judge me. :-)</p><div>00Z4EQ-381579584.jpg.2c5cfd25a53579d28f4836e1e6ad6757.jpg</div>

<p>Only ISO 6400, but wll over ISO 800 and something I do almost every time that I travel.</p>

<p>Canon 5D MkII, 24-105mm f/4L IS at 24mm, f/4 and 1/160th second:</p>

<p><a title="Anyone for absinthe? by dcstep, on Flickr" href=" Anyone for absinthe? src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4083/5190792043_85e2c6f940_z.jpg" alt="Anyone for absinthe?" width="427" height="640" /></a></p>

<p>The highest ISO image I can provide is a ISO 25,000 test shot handheld at 1/25 sec. Within minutes of receiving my 1st d700 in the mail, I slapped the fastest lens on it that I had laying around (a Sigma 30/1.4) and went outside for a test shot and opened the lens to f/1.4. The lighting is a single 60 watt bulb on the corner of the garage, ie, about 10 feet to the rear and right of the photographer. The vignetting is because I was using a DX lens on this FX body and didn't tell the d700 to automatically crop down.</p><div>00Z4Gl-381625584.jpg.0e1a5acd7dac8136c04849c329ed1fbc.jpg</div>

<p>Every time you crank up luminance information under Photoshop, you are in effect increasing ISO beyond the original camera setting. </p>

<p>A typical fully tweaked picture under Photoshop can be said to contain a unique ISO setting for every section where luminance was selectively adjusted or impacted by other tweaks. </p>

<p>I assume you mean 12,800, right?<br>

I certainly prefer to stay under ISO 6400, but it's actually quite common in small club concert photography to need much more, especially for shows where the mood is deliberately dark. For example pics in the gallery: <a href="http://www.photoshelter.com/mem/gallery/gallery-show?G_ID=G0000Ha4WF3Q2LIU">The Sawyer Family.</a></p>

<p>This show was lit only by red Christmas lights lying on the stage. The shots are mostly at ISO 25,600. Some other shows that night were a bit brighter, e.g.,: <a href="http://www.photoshelter.com/mem/gallery/gallery-show?G_ID=G00001q6sfvXz1Kk">Vive Le Vox, </a>but ISO 8000 or so was about the limit all night long.</p>

<p>Best,<br>

--Golden</p>

<p>Golden - I can't see your pix because Photoshelter sez I need to be logged in (and I don't feel like registering at yet another site). Are they anywhere else? This is why putting one or two pix directly on photo.net is a good idea.</p>

<p>Tom M</p>