Tri-x in Xtol, stock, 1:1 or other?

<p>Hi - Ive been getting my tri-x 400 developed at a lab for some time. They use xtol and Im guessing they use stock replenisher solution. I like the results and would like to try Xtol myself at home. I normally develop most films with rodinal but Im not as happy with rodinal as I am with the labs xtol with tri-x.<br>

Ive read on the massive dev chart that there are many dilutions which I could use. I would like to know what are the differences between, lets say, stock and 1:9 or 1:1 etc, other than economy. Will there be a noticeable change and if so, what are the charecteristics of the different dilutions.<br>

Many thanks.<br>

Paul.</p>

<p>Start by reading <a href="http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/j109/j109.pdf">http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/j109/j109.pdf</a><br>

if you have not read it yet. You must use 100ml Xtol per 80 square inches of film regardless of dilution. The higher the dilution the larger the tank required.</p>

<p>Read the notes at the end of each time/temperature/EI listed in the Massive Development Chart.</p>

<p>Now when I started using Xtol I used the 1:3 and got good results with 4x5 sheet film in Jobo tank/reel system. I soon found that there was very little difference between 1:1 and 1;2 or 1:3 to warrant the extra development time.</p>

<p>I recommend using Xtol 1:1 for convince if nothing else. Using Xtol 1:1 you get about the same volume of film per liter of developer, you do not have to keep track of how much film you have processed, you do not have to test the time compensations for the amount of film processed so you can keep your standard exposure development time and variants constant after the initial testing.</p>

<p>One trick I found worked well. I did not have a 5 liter storage bottle or 5 1 liter storage bottles so I mixed the Xtol to fill a 1 gallon jug to the top. This resulted in Xtol that was stronger than package stock and I could dilute it at 85ml per 80 square inches of film and get the same results as if I had mixed it to the 5 liter package amount. </p>

<p>There is still only one way to tell what works for you.<br>

Try it. Shoot some identical rolls and process them in the various dilutions and see if one stands out to you as 'better'.<br>

From John Sexton to Michael A. Smith to Bruce Barnbaum to Ray McSavaney, you will find photographers who get excellent results using combinations we see others complaining about.<br>

Pick one and use it for a year. Then you will have enough experience(shooting often is assumed) to make a decision. Obsessing over small things won't help much at all.</p>