how does he do it?

todd_phillips3

<p>Please see the example below... I've seen others do this style too, where all the shots are higher key... I know it's a matter of exposing higher, or to the right or whatever, but how is it done consistently? Whenever I've tried it's always inconsistent..<br>

http://www.stevenmichaelphoto.com/2011/06/23/ruben-elise-wedding-photographer-decatur-tx/</p>

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>simple a photoshop action to blow out the highlights and make them slightly creamy - looks a lot like Alien Skin's Exposure 3 - Polaroid with creamy blown highlights... but he may have done his own. </p>

<p>IMHO - Just further proof that not every photo looks good with the same action applied to it. You really need to pick and choose.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Interesting look, I normally go for the more contrast look than the washed out look, but has got me thinking. I have taking an example picture that I took to show you my normal adjustments in Lightroom and another example with a washed out look to look similar to Steven's photos on his web page.</p>

<p>Will be interested in your comments on which photo photo you prefer and why.</p>

<p>Personally, I think the effect is done in two parts. Blowing the highlights in exposure, and then blowing them more in processing. For sunlight--blowing the highlights is easy. Simply shoot for the shadow side, face your subjects away from the sun, and make sure there are medium to dark backgrounds. Then in post, blow the highlights more.</p>

<p>For less contrasty images, I'd guess increasing contrast so highlights blow, and exposure in post would do the trick.</p>

<p>Looks like available light work exposing for more shadow detail, then tweaking in post ... (maybe with an action, but not really sure of that).</p>

<p>I kinda like it, it's bright and cheerful feeling. More editorial/fashion in look.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It's just a matter of getting the correct exposure in the first place. Tweaking in Photoshop afterwards should be minimal if the picture is well exposed like these pictures in the gallery linkes to are. Correct exposure involving deciding on what the critical tones are (typically, facial skin tones) deciding what (in Ansel Adams terms) 'zone' you want to appear in (in this case, skin tones being somewhere aroud Zone 6 or a tad brighter, or plus 1 or a bit more stops from mid-grey), measuring those tones and exposing accordingly.</p>

<p>I think it is more a matter of exposing for the subject and allowing the highlights to blow out. None of the key elements are overexposed - just the bit behind them. Also the white balance has ( I would imagine) been cranked to somewhere around the 6500 K mark .<br>

Enjoy,</p>

<p>Marc</p>

<p>i don't think he overexposes. he either under exposes or nails it (probably under exposes though) and uses layers of curves in order to create the washed out brightness. i'm not sure how he gets the beautiful golden honey colour though, it's not through WB anyway, i suspect it is again in the curves layers - perhaps one or two layers with the individual colour channels curved.</p>

<p>i know it's not everyones cup of tea, but i'll bet this guy fills his books every year and makes a pretty penny too. There'll be plenty of brides out there who just love his work. And aside from his processing choices, he has undeniably a strong compositional sense and a great narrative eye.</p>

<p>personally, i like his processing, but i don't know how it will stand the test of time.</p>

<p>Umm, I think it's done in camera, not in post<br>

ISO settings between 250 and 320<br>

f stop wide open<br>

shutter speed around 1/2500-1/8000 depending on effect desired.<br>

gives killer shallow DOF great sharpness on your POF and as long as your allowing the highlights to blow you can get this look often.<br>

The idea, and I'm open to being told I'm inaccurate on this, is that with the wide open aperture you're getting all the mid and low tones exposed properly, but with the hyper high shutter speed you aren't allowing the rest to blow out for the sake of the sharpness and your Zone 6/7 areas.</p>

<p>I've been playing around with this a lot lately and I've been very very pleased with the results as are my clients. The sharpness is great and while I don't go for the near blow out of the highlights like this photographer, it's an aesthetic not a criticism, I can bracket a initial few in the area and get fantabulous results. Try it out, any tree covered area with dappled light will do. Use the histogram greatly to make certain you do have enough data later to do more in post should you decide.<br>

Post some pics Todd, I'd enjoy seeing your results.</p>