Badly taken shots

glenn_stear

<p>The wedding isn't going to be repeated and the shots aren't going to be taken by someone else, are they ? This being the case, I think that there is no need to fuel a further conflict between the b/g and the photographer.<br /> Just let the couple decide what the attitude towards the picture is, look happy and give them reassurance and support, this is what they need from a friend especially if they also think the pictures were bad.<br /> Suing the photographer or having an argument does not change the fact that they chose him to shoot the wedding, and isn't going to improve the pictures.<br /> The perception of picture quality varies greatly with individuals and as a wedding photographer I am amazed at times to see that a couple chooses for the wedding album a completely different set of pictures than those that I would have chosen.</p>

<p>This is just slightly off topic from the original post but because it's been touched on a little in the responses, I think I'll bring it up...</p>

<p>But the problem of the hack photographer can go both ways... Yes there are a lot of fly-by-night, $500 Craigslist photogs out there that show up to a wedding with a Rebel and kit lens and do a terrible job. But I've also seen a $3000 wedding photographer that shows up with $10 grand worth of equipment but still only has mediocre talent at best or worse.</p>

<p>It happened to a friend of mine... She paid the guy $3300 to shoot her wedding because his portfolio was amazing. So he showed up to her wedding with a Canon 1Ds Mark ?? and a couple "L" lenses. He walks around like he's hot stuff (i.e. he was rude) and shoots the wedding like it's boring him. The guy went way overboard with Photoshop! Everything was overly saturated, overly contrasty, everyone's skin looked like rubber because he smoothed (blurred) their skin way too much! And everyone looked like aliens because he went overboard with their eyes and teeth! The MOB and Bride were very disappointed! It was so bad that the MOB actually asked me if she could use some of my photos that I took as a spectator because most of mine looked better than his.</p>

<p>What happened was they were hoodwinked into thinking this guy was an amazing photographer because he had a portfolio of his own hand picked, best of the best photos. But what an honest photographer should do and what the B&G should do is ask to see one or two complete sets of photos from a recent wedding that photographer shot.</p>

<p>I recently shot my first, (a renewal) for family and worked my butt off. I could have done a little better in my opinion, but I had some decent keepers too. Nothing art gallery quality, but definitely some worthy of enlargement. They were absolutely thrilled with the results. I wouldn't think of sitting down and pointing out my percieved faults in each pic. Instead, I'm going to let them enjoy the pictures.<br>

If you have to point out the problems to them, then maybe it isn't really a problem.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But what an honest photographer should do and what the B&G should do is ask to see one or two complete sets of photos from a recent wedding that photographer shot.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I've never been asked to show a full set and I'll never never show a whole set voluntarily because why should I when other people are showing their hand picked BOTB shots. It doesn't make any business sense to do so.</p>

<p>I have, however, shown the best 30-50 shots from a set of 250 on average that I think are representative of my style and ability. Problem with showing a full set is that there'll be undoubtely some boring and average group shots taken at the insistant of the couple. Almost everyone wants those to be done but they are not good marketing material.</p>

<p>i always show a complete wedding set, or two. i explain what's happening to the bride and groom, and if it cost me business over someone else who has shown his best 40 shots from his/her last 1000 weddings, then so be it. at least my customers know what they're getting, and aren't expecting a masterpiece with every photograph taken on their wedding day. the customers also have access to my best shots online, as well.</p>

Here's the thing...I would be honest and have the bride and groom demand the high res DVD's. Then you can fix as many as possible. You talked about cutting feet off. I have a rule to never cut off at the joints; knees feet and hips.

With the out of focus you can try to vignette some.

To answer your question, if the bride is angry I'd say something. If she likes the pics let your emotions go. I know it's a hard one to deal with.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change and the wisdom to change the things I can", Reinhold Neibuhr. What are you going to change by denigrating that photographer except to create unhappiness among the clients? I would say what I have been told when sticking my nose in other peoples business "just shut up".

When I got married many years ago a daughter from a former marriage used an SRT-101 of mine to shoot our small wedding. She screwed up some pictures but got some usable ones as well. Now 33 years later we cherish her pictures. It is not the photographer it is recording the event that is important in my humble opinion.

<p>I am willing and prepared to show any full or as many full weddings as needed to assure my couples that they are getting the real deal. I have sent links to my most previous five full weddings along with my "thanks for your inquiry" note. As well as a link to my Flickr gallery in order of interestingness. It has been my best selling tool. Every photographer should be prepared to do that. No surprises. They then know what they are getting.</p>

<p>Let me ask you this:</p>

<p>If you and a friend were invited to a dinner party at the home of an acquaintance, and at the party your friend commented about how good the food is, would you respond by detailing the problems with food's preparation?</p>

<p>In this situation, the person likes the photographs, so who cares. I know that we who like photography, study photography, and make photographs are keen about technicalities and rules (exposure, composition, etc--as we should be, and we should strive for excellence in all aspects of our photography), but we simply have to recognize that many people out don't care about such things and have other criteria for liking particular photos. If I were you, I would not want to make a friend dislike his own wedding pictures when there is nothing you can do to replace them with better ones.</p>