<p>Hi all,<br>

I'm used to Photoshop CS5 and ACR. Well, I just purchased a Leica D-LUX 5 point and shoot which allowed for a free download of Lightroom 3.4.1. I'm a little bewildered by it all - I usually started with ACR then went to Photoshop for curves, resizing, sharpening, etc. How do I get started with Lightroom and how does it relate to ACR/Photoshop workflow? Or more simply phrased, how do I get started with Lightroom?</p>

<p>I like Martin Evening's book, but the thing that seems to be working (and I'm still working to learn Lightroom) is to shoot a few thousand images which have to be processed and delivered ASAP.</p>

<p>One caution: if you select a group of images, or all, and close Lightroom, that selection will remain in effect the next time to open the program. If you then look at an image and decide to delete it, you will delete everything you've selected. Fortunately, I believe in multiple backups, and the catalog, as far as I can tell, retains all your edits. Make an an extra backup or two of your raw files before you start.</p>

Gene,

If you know ACR, you know the LR Develop module, which is the critical part. Additionally, LR has some tools that

operate on just a part of the image, so the line that divided what's done in LR vs. Photoshop has moved to include

more LR in the last few versions. The more you do in LR, the better, because it's parametric. Anything can be

changed at any time.

To make learning easier, just learn the Library and Develop modules and ignore the others. Print out of Photoshop.

Then learn the other modules as you have the need and the desire.

<p>The Develop module <em>is</em> ACR--just with slightly different interface. You can make most of your adjustments there then tweak in CS5, if necessary. Getting your catalog started right with LR is important. Check out the "Lightroom Lab" for some good tutorials. </p>

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

Thanks for all the responses. I've been playing with Lightroom and am starting to feel a little more confident. The Adobe video helps and I have a Scott Kelby book for the first version of Lightroom. Karen, thanks for the tip on Lightroom and ACR - with the latter I feel comfortable so I'm going to learning the Lightroom interface. My workflow is going to use CS5/ACR for the Nikon images and Lightroom for the Leica, thus avoiding confusing myself with the files for each system.</p>

<p>Gene</p>