exposure compensation

<p>Thank you in advance for all people helping me to dilucidate this issue. I suddenly got my concepts confused!<br /><br />1) I know that, in general exposure = control of aperture + shutting speed. <br>

2) If light conditions are poor we can either decrease aperture or decrease shutting speed with the further correction of the other parameter following the reciprocity rule.<br>

3) I know that other way to correct the exposure is using the (+/-) control.<br>

Is this control only useful to modify (either increase or decrease) <strong>power of the flash</strong> while keeping the actual aperture and shutting speeds?<br /><br />Does the (+/-) control modify the actual speed and aperture settings..? Is this only to modify the flash? No, right? <br /><br />Thank you again for that little bit of your wisdom!<br /><br />juan</p>

<p>The +/- control adds or subtracts exposure. If the meter decides that the correct exposure is 1/125 at f8 and you have it set to +1 stop, the camera will set itself to either 1/60 at f8 or 1/125 at f5.6. The net effect being one more stop of light than the meter suggests.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Steve<br /><br />Thank you.. so.. when you do not have a flash.. it DOES affect the settings... but you do not need to make adjustments yourself... then you depth of field may be affected too.. <br /><br />But, when you do use a flash... does it affect the flash power ratio (given by the photometer) or it also affect the actual settings..? <br /><br />JC</p>

<p>for ambient light without flash and in one of the automode A,S or P, exposure compensation will change aperture and/or shutter speed to increase or decrease exposure from what the meter thinks is correct.<br>

With flash it depends on a particular camera, with some it would change the amount of flash power to change the exposure. With some camera flash and ambient light compensations are separate things and you can set them individually.</p>

<p>My camera permits me to adjust both the exposure the camera is picking [ f/stop--shutter ] and also the flash output ... both have a two stop range either side of 'normal'. This is for the built in flash. <br>

There is another way to modify external flash if there is no 'information connection' between camera and flash, just a trigger circuit, and this if you are using say 100ISO you tell the flash you are using a higher ISO to reduce its output if it is a semi-sutomatic unit which reads the returning output to cut itself off [ not e-TTL or i-TTL] My flash units have a red and a Blue position for this as well as an open window for full strength flash [ old Sunpak units :-) ]</p>