K5 vs. D7000

steve_r.2

<p>I'm just returning to photography after being away for a very, very long time. I've just purchased a D7000 after doing what I thought was an exhaustive amount of research. It just arrived and I haven't opened it yet. I haven't bought a lens yet and am still researching which prime lens to begin with. While doing that, I stumbled upon a post here about how quiet the shutter of the K5 is and it's really got me thinking about this camera. Without starting a religious brand debate, can anyone really help me understand the differences in these two cameras? Here is my situation: I was an avid 35mm film photographer years ago so I have some fundamental knowledge of photography, however, I've never owned a DSLR. I'm starting a digital photography college program in the fall and want a nice camera to do it with.<br>

Thanks for your help </p>

<p>Steve, I own a K10D and have always noticed its mirror slap noise. It's about the same as my Pentax film cameras. The other week, I was in a store and picked up a D3000 to see what it was like. The first thing I noticed when I pressed the shutter was the noise was about half of my Pentax's. I also think the shutter button was more sensitive. I have not tried the Pentax K-5. Hopefully it will match the Nikon.</p>

<p>I will not switch over to Nikon because I have five digital K mount lenses (2 bought recently) and 3 non digital K mounts.The amount of money it would cost to replace only the five digitals would be way, way too much for me to afford. So, I'll wait for the K-5 to come down further in price.</p>

<p>Thanks Matt. Quality is really important to me and I can't get over how disappointed I am in the feel of that 1.8 Nikon lens. I want to love the feel of the camera every time I pick it up. I was wondering if the feel of the Pentax lens was any better especially given what I was reading about the shutter in the K5. Perhaps, I'm just expecting today's cameras to be like the SLR's of yesteryear.</p>

<p>Steve, most of Nikon's consumer DSLRs and lenses are made in their Thailand factory today, plus some in China. Pentax's main factory for their consumer stuffs is in Vietnam. I have no personal experience with Pentax, but my Nikon cameras and lenses made in Thailand and China are all fine. I get far better results from modern equipment than the Japanese made Nikon equipment I had 10, 20, and 30 years ago.</p>

<p>I hope you realize that Tokina bought Pentax a few years ago and then have just sold off the camera division to Ricoh. There are a lot of major changes in Pentax's management. <a href="00YyTT">http://www.photo.net/pentax-camera-forum/00YyTT</a></p>

<p>As far as I know, the K5 is a fine camera but I have never used one. The Nikon D7000 I have owned as soon as it became available last November. To me, it is a huge bargain at $1200.</p>

<p>Steve, I can't offer any thoughts of the Nikon, I've never even held one of their DSLR's in my hands. The only comparison I can draw is that the D7000 and the K-5 use the same Sony sensor, other than that I can't compare them. But I do have sitting here in front of my both my Pentax K20D and my Pentax K-5.</p>

<p>I just held them side by side and shot a random image of each. The sound coming from the K20D was crisp and mechanical, the sound coming from the K-5 was somewhat quieter and softer, less crisp- it was more muted or muffled in the sound I heard vs. the K20D. Both cameras were wearing fairly substantial zoom lenses, so the noise coming from the lens mount area was equally dealt with by the lenses.</p>

<p>I realize this does not help you at all, but it shows that Pentax's newest DSLR is a quieter camera compared to their offerings of just a couple years ago.</p>

<p>Steve: I use a number of lenses from Nikon and from some of their competition (three of Sigma's EX-grade lenses, for example). I own one of those cheap-feeling 50/1.8's from Nikon ... and I've abused it since roughly 1985. It still feels a bit rattle and plasticky ... and still shoots like the day I bought it (which is to say, quite good, within its reasonable boundaries). When I mount Sigma's 30/1.4, or their 50/1.4, I truly like the way they feel and handle, but mostly I chose them for some specific factors in the results I get while using them in the sort of work I find myself doing (lots of busy backgrounds behind subjects, sometimes).<br /><br />You want nice feel? You should mount up Nikon's 17-55/2.8, or 70-200/2.8. Solid, smooth, wonderful. Likewise their 24-70/2.8. They're selling a lot more of those serious-minded zooms than they are primes to working pros, and you can tell. Zooms aren't like they were 25 years ago, optically, mechanically, etc. <br /><br />Truly, you need to go mount up a couple of different lenses not aimed at the entry-level market. I completely understand the urge to pick up equipment that feels real and solid and gratifying in your hands. I'm the same way. There are plenty of choices for your D7000 that will provide you with that experience <em>and</em> with stellar results at which to actually look.</p>

<p>Cheaper auto-focus lenses have a very sloppy and loose focusing feel, so that the little motors in the camera bodies (screw drive) can turn them quickly without too much friction. Plus they are made of "engineering plastic." Focus collars on the Pentax FA lenses are also rather loose, feels sloppy.<br>

The Pentax FA and DA Limited lenses have much nicer feel to the focusing collars. (My FA 77mm Lmited feels like there's a ball bearing race for the focus, solid, but low friction.)<br>

Both companies make a lot of excellent lenses.</p>

<p>What to pipe in here? The K5 (and K7, K20D, K10) are all water resistant cameras. With the right lens that means you can take photos in a full blown hurricane and not worry about the camera (although I think this advice goes under 'don't try this at home').<br>

The K5 and K7 are very quiet cameras. From what I understand they are likely the quietest dSLR out there, but I've been wrong before. I suspect if you want to hear the difference between it and the Nikon just go to youtube, type in Pentax K5 or D7000 and hear the difference.<br>

For the walk-about photographer it is hard to beat what Pentax has to offer. The K7 and K5 just feel great feel a certain <em>je ne sais quoi</em> .</p>

<p>If your interests are in 500mm+ lenses or more flash options then Nikon offers more. For 90% of the population either camera is going to be acceptable.</p>

<p>"Steve, I own a K10D and have always noticed its mirror slap noise. It's about the same as my Pentax film cameras. The other week, I was in a store and picked up a D3000 to see what it was like. The first thing I noticed when I pressed the shutter was the noise was about half of my Pentax's. I also think the shutter button was more sensitive. I have not tried the Pentax K-5. Hopefully it will match the Nikon."<br>

Howard, you will be pleased to know the K-5 is very quiet, maybe even the quietest DSLR on the market.</p>

<p>I agree with not over-analyzing. Any recent DSLR you purchase will be perfectly fine for making photos. If you get down the road and find a limitation of the body for your shooting style, that's the time to do more research. Until then, I doubt you'll find any limitations with your re-entry into photography.</p>

<p>Oh, and don't feed the the trolls.</p>

<p>Bruce,<br>

In response to your note:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In 3 years the Pentax name will be owned by some guy in Santa Monica who licenses it to a Chinese company that no one has ever heard of. <em>Pentax</em> cameras will be sitting on store shelves right next to Vivitar cameras.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>We've heard this all before. Pentax was supposed to be dead in the 1970s when it didn't switch fast enough to a bayonet mount. and then it was supposed to be dead in the 80's when they were slow to enter autofocus and then the autofocus was too slow in the 90s. And then it was too slow to digital. I don't know how they have stuck it through, but they have and have remained innovative even though it's often in a different direction from the other SLR makers. I wish I had a nickel though for every time I heard Pentax was going to be history from a user. The SLR world is all the better for having Pentax an active SLR maker and provided they keep making outstanding products they will manage fine.</p>

<p>But Douglas, what has happened to their market share and influence over the years.</p>

<p>In the early 80s when I bought my MX and started buying lenses, Pentax was known for being the brand that cool enthusiasts in the know chose... on purpose... over the bigger guys.</p>

<p>Is that the case anymore? I really don't think so. And in terms of market share... where are they?</p>

<p>I don't want to make this into a "X vs. Y" thread any more than it is... but Pentax is not the major player they once were, and they are certainly not a fraction of the market that Nikon is.</p>

<p>Bruce Rubenstein:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In 3 years the Pentax name will be owned by some guy in Santa Monica who licenses it to a Chinese company that no one has ever heard of. <em>Pentax</em> cameras will be sitting on store shelves right next to Vivitar cameras.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If that was true you'd be some clever guy making billions off your time machine patent and not some dude spouting pathetic nonsense on the internet.</p>

<p>To the OP: Use and enjoy what you have. Buy Zeiss lenses if you want better fit and finish. Or try the Limited lenses from that "loser" company Pentax and <em>really</em> feel you've made the wrong decision. ;-)</p>

<p>Thanks for all the responses. I'm sticking with the D7000. Matt, I especially appreciate your comments. I need to find a place where I can check out the Sigma 30 f/1.4 as it may be exactly what I need. I'd also like to check out those Nikon zooms. Unfortunately, where I live there are no good shops at all.<br>

Thanks again.</p>

<p>Steve - B&H Photo and Adorama are quite reliable. You can see their ads on this site. Adorama sometimes beats B&H's camera and lens prices when Adorama sells them as kits i.e. camera, lens, lens cleaner, cap keeper etc.</p>

<p>I try not to get too in to these "which brand" threads but, I do have a Nikon D7000, and also (among others) a Pentax K-7 (same form factor, size, sound etc as the K-5).</p>

<p>The D7000 is a great camera - I really like it. Even though I have several short primes for the Nikon, and a 28-105 as well, my main reason for buying it was to use the old AF-D 300/4 and 80-200/2.8. It may not be as good ergonomically with those heavy lenses as a D300S, but I wanted the newer sensor and a few other features (like the ability to directly control ISO from the rear control wheel when in Aperture priority, just like I do with the Pentax).</p>

<p>For travel and general sightseeing, when I prefer to shoot with small primes, I pick the K-7 and the 4 DA Limited lenses. It makes for a great compact travel outfit, it's a lot smaller than the Nikon, especially because of the lenses.</p>

<p>They are both very quiet. It's hard to tell them apart really.</p>

<p>I remember that a couple of folks in the Nikon forum suggested I should pick one or the other, but having both systems has not been a problem at all, because I use each with a very different selection of lenses. Once you figure out a few things about the Nikon, the ergonomics are similar. This weekend, for example, on Saturday morning I went to the Zoo, so I took the Nikon and the big lenses. Today I spent wandering around Balboa Park with out of town visitors, so it was the Pentax with DA15, 21, 40 and 70, all in a tiny bag. If I had to pick only one body, in terms of ergonomics and intuitive ease of use, it would have to be the K-7 (and thus, the K-5). </p>

<p>So, I would say keep the D7000 and enjoy it. Later, once you know what you like and don't like, and what sort of lenses you want to shoot with, you can always pick up a K-5 and a few lenses too. The only problem I have with my own arrangement is now that I have the D7000 I want a K-5 for the sensor. But, that will have to wait a bit.</p>

<p>By the way, the Nikon AF-D 24/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4 and 85/1.8 work very nicely on the D7000 if you are looking for a selection of primes.</p>

Bruce R. 

After a couple of beers your scenario seems about as likely as any of 'em and far more insightful than most. 

With a total market valuation of only $124 million--including two factories and IP--there just ain't that much there that matters.

The value of the brand alone might be a mere $29 million, which is what the second flipping of Polaroid (stripped of most

physical assets) garnered in 2009. And wouldn't you know, Polaroid is on the other side of Vivitar, on aisle 8. 

Ricoh is getting a first cut at extracting the good bits. I think they will leverage the 645D into a B2B solution which is what

Ricoh does well. After that, maybe a mirrorless where the frontier is still unsettled--but that could be branded either way. 

As for traditional DSLRs, feh, Pentax's 1-2% is well, puny and questionably profitable--who knows how much subsidy Hoya

was pumping into it to make the brand shiny? A new owner may think it's nuts to compete anymore in this market. 

Hopefully we are both wrong, but one sign of the coming apocalypse is if one or two of our favorite big retailers start offering

classic Pentax lenses at very reasonable prices come next winter. Time for Ricoh to recover some inventory value through

reputable sales channels. 

The small Ltds. would not be cleared as they would be re-targeted at mirrorless. 

Around June would see the systematic clearing of old product. And then if sales of new products under the Pentax marque go

mushy, Bruce's scenario unfolds. 

Yuck!

ME

<p>Had I known that Pentax Imaging could be purchased so cheap I'd have been playing the Powerball with a little more enthusiasm. What would Pentax do if it was in the hands of a user? One can only speculate....</p>

<p>Again, the "Did I buy the right brand?" questions are interesting, but in the end the camera doesn't do ANYTHING interesting without a proper photographer. This same reasoning is why we see wonderful photos with a Holga and complete wastelands of creativity coming out of Hassleblads. The opposite is also true. Be a good photographer and regardless of what brand you carry your photos will be good.</p>

<p>Howard - you know that Adorama will always make every effort to price match to any other reliable / reputable retailer? (shipping cost <em><strong>and</strong></em> unit cost).<br>

You only need drop me an email for info: Helen@adorama.com<br>

<strong>Helen Oster<br /> Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador</strong><br>

<a href="http://twitter.com/HelenOster" target="_blank">http://twitter.com/HelenOster</a><br>

@HelenOster</p>