vivitar 200m f3.5 filter size

<p>A quick Google search (which you could have done yourself) suggests that Vivitar made at least three different 200mm f/3.5 lenses: one by Komine, one in T4/TX mount made by Tokina, and a later Series 1 autofocus model made by either Komine or Cosina. The manual-focus Komine model takes 67mm filters. At least one of the others takes 62mm filters, but I don't know which. 66mm would be a very unusual size.</p>

<p>I did several google searches for vivitar 200mm specifications and turned up nothing, which is why I asked for CONFIRMATION as my measurement was 66mm and it certainly was 'unusual'.<br>

As was your reply.<br>

But we're all happy I got the information and you, well I guess you've just been wetting yourself this morning to be rude to someone. i guess I am happy to have just made your day<br>

Enjoy Craigie </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I did several google searches for vivitar 200mm specifications and turned up nothing.</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>&<br>

well I guess you've just been wetting yourself this morning to be rude to someone. i guess I am happy to have just made your day<br />Enjoy Craigie</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Are you still in high school, Perry ?<br>

Try googling <strong><a href="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=speeb&defid=940474">speeb</a></strong> next time.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"A quick Google search (which you could have done yourself)..."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Google turns up accurate and inaccurate info, good and bad advice, equally and without discrimination. For example, consider the many <a href="../modern-film-cameras-forum/00YzBX">ill advised recommendations to use WD-40 on cameras and lenses</a>.</p>

<p>Lex, in general it's true that you should be careful what you trust online, but when it comes to factual information (as opposed to opinions about quality) about particular cameras and lenses, most of what I've seen has been pretty reliable. Someone who still cares enough about an old manual-focus Vivitar lens after all these years to put up a web page about it or post about it in a photography forum will probably be able to tell you what size filters it takes.</p>

<p>Within two minutes of Googling "Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 filter size" I found enough to indicate that there are at least two manual focus lenses that fit the description, one taking 62mm filters and another taking 67mm, plus a later autofocus model. Perry still hasn't told us which one he has in mind, though I would guess it's the Komine-made manual 67mm version.</p>

<p>In suggesting WD-40 for unsticking a Nikon FG's AI follower, Bebu at least took care to point out that while it worked for him, many people would advise against it, and your follow-up on the same page does a good job of explaining why it isn't recommended, so that page isn't really a good example of the internet's unreliability. If this were a camera that I cared about, or if I'd had any lighter fluid handy, I wouldn't have followed Bebu's advice. As it is, I am now in a good position to find out first-hand whether careful application of WD-40 causes problems in this specific application.</p>

<p>The 200mm f/3 Vivitar Series 1 was made by Komina (28XXX...) and has a filter thread of 72mm. The 200mm f/3.5 Vivitar Fixed Mount lens made by Komine (28XXX...) has a filter thread of 62mm. Somewhere I have the Tokina made Vivitar 200/3.5 T4 and TX lenses. When I find them I will post their correct filter thread sizes. </p>

<p>An interesting group of responses. What i find most interesting tho is the difference in google searches and the assumptions that we all make. I have made a variety of searches for vivitar 200mm f3.5/vivitar komine/vivitar serial numbers/etc. I seem to be turning up the same information over and over. I have found a lot of links to various posts, but i havent found a site that tells me how to id the item i have. Google doesn't give us all the same info, its filters are selective based on our search histories. I am thinking of going in and clearing out the cookies and see if that gets any better. But logically if i measured it at 66 and there are enough posts here to suggest its a 67, well that is sounding close enough to me. It sure isnt a 62 or a 72 I have filters in both sizes. - its a 3701350.<br>

As to my HS class. Why not ask Craig, we seem to be classmates?</p>

<p>The popular filter thread sizes are: 49, 52, 55, 58, 62, 67, 72 and 77. Rather than look at google I would look at eBay. In the current and completed auctions you will often see the lens you are looking for. If you are really lucky then the lens will have a filter on it and you will be able to see the filter size from a side view. As far as I know Vivitar did not sell a manual focus Fixed Mount 200mm f/3.5 from the early 1970s on, other than the Komine version (28XXX...). I have never seen a 66mm screw thread filter size. The confusion is that Vivitar did sell lenses in other focal lengths where the TX and Fixed Miuont versions were optically the same. The 24mm f/2.8 Tokina made lens was sold as a TX and as a Fixed Mount and later other 24mm f/2.8 versions appeared. I might also find my Hoya filter guide before I find the lenses in question. </p>

<p>I found a 200mm f/3.5 Vivitar TX lens on eBay in the completed auctions section. This lens has a rubber covered focusing ring and takes 62mm filters. It has the 37XXX... serial number. It seems that there were two versions of the 200/3.5 Vivitar T4 lens. The earlier version had a built in tripod socket and the later one did not. Both of these have ribbed metal focusing rings and the 37XXX... serial number. From what I know there were no T4 lenses with rubber covered focusing rings but there was at least one TX lens with the ribbed metal focusing ring. This was the 400/6.3 TX. If you have a 200/3.5 Vivitar with interchangeable mounts and a rubber covered focusing ring then your question is answered. If you have an earlier model then I am still looking for the answer. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Perhaps I can help clarify this filter diameter quandary. I'm assuming you have used a vernier caliper to measure the 66 mm id. Thread diameters are not measured from the minimum diameter. They are measured from the mean (average) diameter. The maximum diameter would be to the outer depths of the thread cuts which might actually be 67.5 mm. Therefore the nominal 67 is in between.</p>

<p>Filter diameters are the nominal size of a smooth bore hole the male threaded portion will fit in. For example, 52mm male threaded filter measures 51.7mm. For anyone interested, there are books written on screw thread systems, boring to most people, unless you happen to be a hobby or professional machinist. </p>