How often did your equipment fail?

<p>And what was the failure?</p>

<p>I read about redundancy and buying extra cameras as back-up but I rarely hear about doubling lenses.</p>

<p>Personally, my equipment has never failed me and I know a few pro photographers who use only one camera at wedding. Seems redundant and paranoid to buy equipment that will never get used. I'd rather involve an amateur 2nd shooter, just in case equipment fails.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Economics - cost of 2nd body is far less than cost of hassle, loss of reputation, possibly cost of restaging wedding for reshoot. Furthermore, possession of backup body pays dividends in terms of peace of mind and ability to focus on task in hand. You can work without backup, just as you can drive a car without a spare wheel, but you will need it sometime, and when you do you'll be glad you have it!</p>

<p>Being a firm believer in Murphy's Law and all its corollaries, I always carry backup gear. I've only had one failure in the last 15 years (fried electronics in a Minolta Maxxum 7), but that happened in the middle of a location shoot.</p>

<p>If you're convinced that you don't need backup gear, then you're probably convinced you don't need to back up your computer's hard drive. It's the same principle. And, I'm sure no one thought they really needed all those lifeboats on the Titanic...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Economics - cost of 2nd body is far less than cost of hassle, loss of reputation, possibly cost of restaging wedding for reshoot. Furthermore, possession of backup body pays dividends in terms of peace of mind and ability to focus on task in hand. You can work without backup, just as you can drive a car without a spare wheel, but you will need it sometime, and when you do you'll be glad you have it!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You didn't answer how many times your gear failed. I presume never. Prime cameras and lenses don't break just like that.</p>

<p>Philosophies aside, I'd like to quantify how many times what part of equipment failed.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p> Seems redundant and paranoid to buy equipment that will never get used.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not if your livelihood and reputation are on the line. Relatively speaking, equipment is cheap in comparison. I have had cameras, lenses and lighting gear fail on location and while I may not carry exact duplicates of every single item, I carry enough so if a key piece of gear fails I can still continue. Yes, some gear doesn't ever see the light of day. That's OK, it's the price of doing business as a professional...and having peace of mind. </p>

<blockquote>

<p> I know a few pro photographers who use only one camera at wedding</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There are many types of professional photography and many levels of "pro" photographer. Wedding photography especially draws in a wide range of individuals from competent professionals to weekend hobbyist. </p>

<p>There are some things in life that you should deal with in response to the consequences of malfunction, not just the probability. In there cases, the incidence of malfunction is largely irrelevent. If you're being paid to photograph someone's wedding and you do not carry backup then you are not taking your responsibilities seriously enough and risking causing them irreparable harm in order to save a bit of money. Having an enthusiast standing by is not the answer. The client hasn't paid for any old photographer doing it for peanuts- they've chosen you.</p>

<p>Of course there are professional assignments which are not so time-critical, which are easy to re-stage, and so on. But if you consider consequences alongside probability of occurrance then the need for backup or not should be clear. </p>

<p>But to answer your largely irrelevent question, I've had a camera fail on me in-use three times . Once it wrecked a trip which was not a pro commission and indeed I didn't even notice a problem till well into the trip. One was entirely domestic/ The third involved ny having to pay to revisit an overseas location and cost me my whole profit on the job. Interestingly, I have had no breakdowns since I started to carry a spare body . Lenses break less frequently and there is sufficient overlap in zoom ranges to lead me to bekieve that I can if pushed do without any one of them.</p>

<p>So far I've experienced only one significant equipment failure, and it occurred after the event being photographed so it wasn't a real inconvenience. Even then my Nikon dSLR was only partially disabled - it functioned normally with G-type AF-S Nikkors and manual Nikkors, but became balky with my AF Nikkors with aperture rings. Nikon fixed it under warranty.</p>

<p>I don't shoot weddings or events professionally, but on the occasions I've photographed weddings and events as a favor for family and friends I never showed up with only one camera and lens. I've always carried three camera bodies, up to six lenses and two or three flash units, along with spare batteries for everything. Even doing these as favors or gifts I still don't want to be caught unprepared.</p>

<p>So far the only equipment problem I've experienced during one of those events was an intermittent communication problem between Nikon SB-800 units. At the time (2005 or 2006) I'd overestimated the reach of the CLS optical "wireless" link. Not a major problem, I just switched to single flash units per camera.</p>

<p>Any other failures I can think of were due to dropping the camera or lens. I drowned my 35mm Ricoh SLR kit during a canoe trip during the 1980s but still had enough exposed film kept dry for the photo illustrations to accompany a freelance story.</p>

<p>I am not a professional, but I take photography seriously. We occasionally get asked to be the photographers at some social events, and you don't want to let friends and acquaintances down. Recently I got to an event and realized that in cycling through battery charging I had left all my spare batteries at home, and the one in the 50D was very low. I always carry the Rebel body, and it worked out fine for that event. In this case the camera didn't fail - I did; but the back up worked.</p>

<p>I'm a sometimes proffessional. I've worked in a studio a few times, sold some freelance stuff to local papers, shot some events for pay, but mostly just enjoyed myself because photography is a fun hobby for me.</p>

<p>I've had a few equipment failures since the early 1980s, not many considering I've been into cameras for 30 years, and shoot a lot.</p>

<p>First was a flash failure in the studio.... IIRC it was the main controller, and a new one had to be ordered from corporate because that was the one thing studios didn't keep a spare on hand.</p>

<p>After that, a couple Maxell memory cards let me down. I'd just purchased them for the event, and they were corrupt. I got some photos, but lost some too. Definitely affected output.</p>

<p>After that, I had 2 film cameras collect sand in the Grand Canyon on a recent trip, and become non-functional or partly-functional. A third camera's controls are gritty now, can feel the sand when advancing film, though the camera works OK. Plus the solar charger which worked perfectly at home to charge my digital, did not function in the Canyon. </p>

<p>So most of my equipment failures have been in the Grand Canyon during 18 days.</p>

<p>Not counting film winding issues in the early days of motor/auto winding, twice*.<br>

Once during what will probably prove to be a once in a life time trip, my EOS-10s shutter failed due to the gumming up problem...I didn't know it failed and I didn't know that type of failure wasn't uncommon until I returned from my trip to blank slides.<br>

Once in the middle of a road in the middle of the wilderness of Guatemala when I came across a Quetzal...technically the equipment didn't fail me (and hence the asterisks), it just wasn't up to the job...I got a 70-200 2.8L IS shortly thereafter :)<br>

I don't think backups would have helped at the time.</p>

<p>H.F.: You seem to be forgetting that externalities are a frequent cause of equipment trouble - not just wear and tear, or defects, etc. I watched an event photographer (with a 70-200 mounted to a big pro body) turn around just in time to have a waiter with a large bus tray also turn around, and bash the edge of the tray right into the lens. The lens hood and the filter mounted on the lens both broke, with some apparent damage to the front element of the lens. Worse, several half-consumed drinks - obeying the laws of inertia - hit the photographer square in the chest, soaking the second body he was carrying. He had to use the body that had the killed lens mounted on it, and the lens that had been mounted to the drenched second body. <br /><br />It doesn't take much imagination at all to understand that things completely beyond the design and up-til-then handling of the equipment by the photographer can still take a piece of gear out of action right when that would be a disaster without backups. Nobody treating this issue professionally would do it without back-up gear on their person, and more backup gear secured nearby (in the car, in a Peli case chained to the mother-of-the-bride's chair, etc). It's fundamental to event work at professional rates, and it's just plain good form even if you're working for free.</p>

<p>I have been photographing for over 30 years, 21 as a pro commercial photographer. When I am on assignment, I always have redundancy except in lenses as I generally have something I could substitute and crop if needed. I have had strobes mysteriously fail--sometimes a bad circuit is to blame and once a flash tube-new-just quit. I have had only one lens sort of jam up, but the long exposure needed for that shot saved me--used lens cap! A fairly new camera, MF with focal plane shutter, jammed mysteriously while on assignment-- had to buy a new one on the road as I still had two weeks of shooting left--ouch! Sold the entire system when the job was done, so lost a bunch on that new camera!</p>

<p>Anyway, things happen and having a back up is particularly important when you are on assignment. Sometimes the back up isn't the same system, but something that can get you through the job. </p>

<p>Equipment failure: twice. Shutter in a Leica M6 - brake failure; camera totally inoperable. Nikon D200 - the internal flash "popped" while being used as a commander - took the entire metering system with it as well as the option to shoot bursts; there were also a few other minor things that righted themselves after a while. In both cases, had this happened during crucial situations, without a backup it would have been simply game over. More situations where the camera was rendered inoperable - but all due to "pilot error" - like not carrying a spare battery or finding out that the spare was not charged. Arrived on location with a full set of cameras and lenses - but not CF cards.<br>

Lens failure - one: dropped a 24-50 while changing lenses - sand got in the mechanism and the lens was unusable - until I took it apart and cleaned it weeks after the incident.<br>

Now, I don't believe in a backup camera that sits in the bag unused all the time - but I do believe in a second or even third body that is used routinely. I would also not double up on the same lens - but have some substitute handy in case the primary lens will develop issues so that I continue shooting.<br>

And as Matt pointed out - a lot of things can happen that render your equipment temporary or permanently useless - certainly an advantage if you have something in the bag to use then.</p>

<p>On jobs since 2004, I have had:</p>

<ul>

<li>a 70-200 f2.8IS lock up two 1VHS's (fixed by removing batteries and cleaning contacts)</li>

<li>Dropped a 16-35, it snapped in two (trip to Canon, no ultrawides on that job)</li>

<li>Had the front fall off a 24-70, twice (very frustrating warranty issue but easily negated with 50 f1.4 I always carry)</li>

<li>Had a 24-70 zoom ring lock up ( 50mm f1.4 work around)</li>

<li>Broke the body where the foot mounts on two separate 550EX's (always had multiples)</li>

<li>Had one underwater housing flood ( did emergency assent, orientated housing to minimise damage, all worked after cleaning and new O rings)</li>

</ul>

<p>I have never had, since 1978:</p>

<ul>

<li>A camera body failure</li>

<li>A CF card failure or corruption (since 2004)</li>

</ul>

<p>I take a 1VHS and a few rolls of film but it stays in a separate bag in the car, or my G10, as backup to my 1Ds MkIII to weddings, most other times I don't take a spare body. </p>

<p>I take for hobby only, so for me, no file backups or body backups whatsoever. If it malfunctions that is what I am willing to accept.</p>

<p>In terms of #<br /> My first SLR - the D70 was malfunctioning from the first week I bought in JP. On and off ... times back after a reset or power on/off or overnight. New shutter unit and amonst others, had to be sent back 3x. Now it's been 7yrs it's getting CHA error now/then. A power/off and memory card reinsert helps.</p>

<p>A 80-200mm pro lens 2.8, backfocus, Nikon said within specs so I just sold it. Funny that all my cheap lenses incl used stuff didn't have issues (bodies and lenses).</p>

<p>I don't buy often, so since 2004 for me, two of the above.</p>

<p>Not a pro, but I've had camera bodies fail. The Minolta 7000i sometimes would simply not fire. This was while shooting birds or wanting to catch some nature subject, had been taking pictures, darned thing would just all of a sudden not fire. Learned to take battery out and put it back in (not a weak battery, either). A couple of times it would just snap to another setting out of the blue, as in f5.6 suddenly turns into f22. Missed some good shots of geese flying over a misty lake at dawn by the moon because of it.</p>

<p>My Canon Rebel XT (350D) has locked up a few times. I'll be taking pictures, then all of a sudden no cooperation from the beastie. Again, turn off camera, drop out battery, put back in, turn back on, back to normal.<br>

Memory cards have failed a couple times, suddenly camera not working. Tried to download pictures, just got a message "corrupted file". Reformatted the card, everything back to normal. Cameras had not been dropped or abused in any way, they just suddenly decide to flip to some other setting and infuriate me.</p>

<p>I've had one film camera failure where the shutter ceased working correctly (unknown at the time - a school trip but personal pictures so no major problems as a result. but no pics either. It could probably have been fixed with a simple CLA however I was on the verge of switching to Maxxum gear so I didn't get it fixed. I had a camera cease winding film. I noticed it when it went merrily past the expected number of frames. Some good shots, one really over exposed multiple exposure frame and a lot of unexposed frames. A family event, other people with cameras, nothing of serious consequence.</p>

<p>I've had two lenses simply fall apart in use. Both were mid-grade, not the cheapest from that brand nor the most expensive either. I understand the brand has much improved quality control but would still be wary of depending on them. Again, family events so no serious problems - replaced both lenses.</p>

<p>Weddings. Almost impossible to do a re-shoot. I usually carried extra cameras and always shot two sets of film..One Kodak and one Fuji. Yes, I know different colors. The main film is one presented. Later had an assistant who took the 2nd set. Film is cheap! Re-shooting can be very expensive. Carried extra flashes, lenses and always spare bodies. Lenses only needed with Hasselblad. The lens can make all the right "noises" and not expose anything. A friend lost most of his daughter's wedding that way. There was someone who disposed of that marque! A Polaroid back was the safety net... not available due to sanctions.<br>

My film was developed in separate batches, only after first lot back, home and safe. This was done after Kodak wiped out most of a shoot on slide film. Sure they gave me some free film..not all of it either! Digital has really been a boon. Test on spot. Of course use Memory cards that have been used and tested. It ain't film, you do not want virgins! Memory card failed at my daughters wedding! I was mostly film then, so it didn't matter.I also was not the Pro shooter..as part of retinue.<br>

Today any shoot can be easy. A small digicam can save the day! Those shooting billboards know what is possible. The real world not the "tests" and "comparisons"!<br>

Main procedure is to constantly use one's equipment. If only used when there is a client, you are a hack.<br>

When a failure occurs explain and re-shoot, without hesitation.</p>

<p>Two occurences . Flim advance jammed in a year old Fujica ST 701 (the original model). Yes, this was a long time ago. I removed the bottom plate and discovered a screw that had worked loose and jammed a linkage. Eazy fix and I put a dab of clear nail polish on the screw for good measure. Second failure. Was out photographing eagles on a logging road and the shutter curtain string on my early OM-1 popped off. This was so long ago that Olympus was still fixing OM-1 cameras and the repair was about $60 at an Olympus service center.<br>

As to your opinion about back up equipment....well Hocus, do what you want, but by their very nature most all events are non repeatable, one chance to get it right type venues. The chance of failure may be low but the cost of even one failure will could very well exceed the the price of backup equipment.</p>