Sometimes unexposed frames with Pentax 67

daniel_h_gberg

<p>Hi!<br>

I have had alot of problems with my Pentax 67, but all of them have been because of my own stupidity. :)<br>

Now I´ve come across a new problem, sometimes some frames come out unexposed, its just like the shutter never opened. How can this be? And if the shutter curtain did not work at that shot, how can the camera just keep working? Should it not jam up or make the advance lever get stuck?<br>

No, i have not underexposed the images. :) And the red battery-light always shines bright when I test it..<br>

Please, I want to use it for my proffesional work, but I dont dare to risk frames coming out unexposed..<br>

Someone recoqnize this problem? What can be the cause?<br>

Thankyou!</p>

<p>You can hear the shutter move on this camera, especially if you lock up the mirror first. If you are suspecting this problem, I suggest listening for it. However a shutter curtain that does not move is a rare problem for this camera. Sometimes a moderately used battery in cold weather will cause the shutter to close too soon. You could easily be 7 or 8 stops underexposed and appear unexposed.</p>

<p>I've had the same problem. Then I had the problem that the mirror would sometimes get stuck all the way up (not half way as is normal with a dead battery). I just got a replacement body and will now look to get my first one fixed. Though I imagine it's not worth it.</p>

<p>One other thing that can happen with wear and tear on these cameras is that the film advance mechanism becomes a bit sloppy and can leave big gaps between some exposed frames and leave other frames very tight together. I had that issue with one of my older Pentax 67 bodies, a good service fixed that issue, there was no pattern to it, sometimes okay, other times spacing way out to the point your last frame was only half there! If your camera has seen a lot of usage, maybe a service might be in order to check it out and make sure that everything is working the way that it should. If you are intending to use the camera professionally it might pay you to pick up a spare camera body just to give you extra piece of mind. The Pentax 67II is much better if you can get one of those sometime.</p>