Exhibtion Security

<p>Hello Folks,<br>

I couldn't find a forum location that fit this question exactly, so forgive me if I put this in the wrong place.<br>

I will be exhibiting in a public library in a couple weeks, and I was curious if anybody had any ideas for securely hanging a gallery wrap to prevent theft? I believe I will only have access to a hook to hang these on, and wanted to know if anybody has had any experience with this before. Thanks so much!</p>

<p>Larry</p>

<p>Unless you're exhibiting in a bank or an actual gallery, I think exhibition security is an oxymoron. If you're really concerned, discuss it with the library people. Real security would involve physically anchoring your print to the wall, and the library may not like what that would do to their wall. You might also ask if the exhibition is insured (unlikely). From personal experience, I have been in exhibitions in banks, galleries, restaurants, coffee shops and stores, and have yet to have a print stolen. Actually, I feel a little insulted that no one has tried...</p>

<p>Venues like libraries typically don't have any provision for physical security. In fact, you will be luck if they have provisions for hanging. As a practical matter, libraries don't have the budget to be able to do major refurbishment of the display area between shows, and anything that would provide physical security would require major reconfiguration anytime there is a change in what is being shown.</p>

<p>The best you can hope for is that the library circulation desk will be located between the display area and the door such that the librarians MAY notice if someone tries to walk out with one of your pictures.</p>

<p>Hi All, <br />Thanks for the responses. I dug through the city's crime reports for the past year, and nothing has been reported stolen from the library, art included, so that makes me feel a bit better. I guess it's a small risk, but I figure, if something gets stolen, I might get some free publicity!</p>

<p>Did you say whether someone (yourself, another) will be on hand at a desk in the display area to answer questions about the exhibition? If so, security should be quite satisfactory. Is there only one entrance to that area and is anyone posted near that in the normal exercise of their duties? </p>

<p>It is rare to have something stolen from such sites (library, restaurants, etc.) and more of concern is the extent of viewing that they permit. I have had a small gallery during summer months since 2002 and the artists each signed their agreement that the gallery would not be responsible for loss, although a number of conditions of surveillance were agreed to (Insurance costs were prohibitive) in writing. The value of art varied between $100 and $3500 and no losses due to theft or damage occurred. Unless the library has had problems before I wouldn't be too concerned, as long as someone is in the area of the exhibition or nearby during the opening hours. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>My experience from 30+ exhibits:</p>

<p>- All the places, except one, state in their terms that they are not responsible for damage or theft of my work. The exception stated my work would be covered by their existing insurance.</p>

<p>- Libraries and galleries typically have hanging devices, while the other places don't.</p>

<p>- One print was stolen in a library exhibit. They told me it was the only case in ten years. After the theft, security cameras were installed.</p>

<p> </p>

I've never had a problem exhibiting in libraries. All patrons had to walk past the circulation desk and through a detector. I

signed an agreement releasing the library from any liability if anything happened. I was comfortable.with that agreement and

nothing happened to my photos.

I did turn down an offer to show in a back hallway in a university building where the previous exhibitor had had a photograph

stolen. That hallway was near a door and was isolated.

Depending on how worried you are about security, maybe you'll want to reconsider the exhibit? --Sally

<p>I curated library shows for many years and never had a problem. Obviously libraries are more secure than other venues because their book security is built in. Besides the portal alarms, the various service desks and floor plans are planned with security in mind. I didn't need to use the book scan strips. I'd worry more about good lighting and proper hanging.</p>