Refurbished 5D Mark II

<p>I was considering picking up a 5D Mark II a couple months from now and I saw Canon was offering refurbished ones for $1,999. Seems like a pretty good deal and I wasn't planning on buying new. However I'm a bit worried that I might run into issues with the camera down the line.</p>

<p>How exactly does the refurbishing process work? Are they cameras that previous owners have traded in to possibly upgrade or buy a new product and Canon has cleaned them up and fixed any potential issues and then resell them? I'm just worried I could get a camera that saw heavy use, not necessarily mistreated, but a well used camera and run into issues later on. Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Spencer</p>

<blockquote>I could get a camera that saw heavy use, not necessarily mistreated, but a well used camera and run into issues later on.</blockquote>

<p>"The camera was only used for video shoots," as stated by one camera sales guy the other day. Yeah, right.</p>

<p>Are you not rolling the dice?</p>

<p>How long is the refurbished warranty? 90 days?</p>

<p>How much for an extended warranty versus buying a new camera? It may be safer buying a refurbished prime lens.</p>

<p>Canon gives you a 90 day warranty on refurbished cameras, lenses and Speedlites. Test thoroughly. Even with a "new" one, anything bad is more likely to come out in the first few hours of use.</p>

<p>The $500 savings is a pretty nice down payment on an "L" lens...or two...</p>

<p>I purchased a Canon-refurbished 5D mark 1 a few years ago. It was in like-new condition, and did not develop any problems. The only way that you could tell that it was refurbished was that it came in a white box. It had all of the accessories (battery, charger, cords, software discs), but you should check to be sure that all of the accessories are included if you decide to buy a factory refurbished camera. I later purchased a factory refurbished Sureshot SD980 IS. It also was in like-new condition, came with all of the accessories, and has not developed any problems. I obviously have no problem with Canon factory refurbished. As far as a third party extended warranty is concerned, that would depend on the cost and terms of the warranty, and the reputation of the third party. I think that if the camera does not develop a problem within 90 days, then it is not likely to develop a problem within one year.</p>

<p>Spencer, that's how I got my 5DII, remanufactured from Canon, probably had the shutter replaced. I'd guess that my body is a very early one since it had very early firmware out of the box. Probably a Canon rep's demo unit or an early body from the trade shows. This was before CPS changed the rules, now they want magazine cut sheets due to the popularity of the 5DII. Price was good AND I got a Canon Loyalty rebate too.</p>

<p>I too bought a Refurbished 5D Mark II, I have not had any issues with it (touch wood). I did buy an extended 2 yr third party warranty (from Square Trade - no affiliation). The camera came in a white box with all the s/w and cables. It looked like new, so far I am very happy with my purchase.</p>

<p><br /></p>

<p>Another refurb 5D2 owner. Nil problems. Work(ed) like a dream until it was stolen from my house during a break-in. My replacement body was new though. Henry Posner (B&H) and/or Helen Oster (Adorama) will likely weigh in on this thread at some point. Long story short, a factory refurb gets arguably more TLC than a factory line one.</p>

<p>Also, I had a question about my 7D and the 15-85. Since I never registered the warranty on either the lens or the camera, will I be able to give the card to the buyer and they be able to get the warranty. I've never bought a Canon camera before so I'm assuming those cards the lens and camera came with were the warranty card and you have to do something to activate. I don't have them on hand at the moment so I can't look.</p>