Which flash to buy?

chanh_nguyen1

<p>I bought an SB-600 in 2007 for $187.90 and want to buy another now. Having been conditioned to expect that the price of the same electronic gizmo to drop with time, I was shocked to see it priced at more than $300 on Amazon! I should have bought 2, heck, 3 units then.<br>

Would you buy an SB-900 at ~$500 instead of an SB-600 at $300? Besides more power, what additional features of the SB-900 that you really like?<br>

I know my mileage will most likely vary from yours, but it is good to know what others think and do. TIA</p>

<p>You might want to look at the SB-700. It has replaced the now discontinued SB-600, which is only available from people who've marked them way up (just for you!). <br /><br />The SB-700 is like a more modest SB-900. Both the 700 and 900 will get along well with your camera, have a much more pleasant user interface than does the 600, and perhaps most importantly, it can act as a CLS commander for your 600, used remotely (the 600 can only act as a slave, not a commander).</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Would you buy an SB-900 at ~$500 instead of an SB-600 at $300?</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Depends on whether or not you want backwards compatibility for TTL film based flash. If you do, you're SOL with current production SB-xxx offerings (other than the SB-R200), as none will support basic TTL flash on legacy cameras.</p>

<p>Matt's suggestion for a SB-700 is a good one if backwards compatibility doesn't matter. I personally would not pay the obscene prices asked for a NOS SB-600. And IMHO the SB-900, great Speedlight though it may be, is grossly overpriced. But if you are shocked at the price gouging on the SB-600, don't even think about looking for a SB-800. ;-)</p>

Too bad they discontinued the 600. I got mine on clearance as a refurb for less than $180. The 700 has more features, but a lot of people probably don't use them and it leave a big gaping price point hole between the 400 and the 700 (that gets filled by... Metz maybe?)