Nikon Rangefinder Light leak

<p>I have a Nikon S rangefinder. I get an inconsistent light leak BETWEEN the frames of my exposures. I have checked the shutter (it closes horizontally) with a strong light with the back removed, and it seems to close completely even at slow speeds. What is causing this? What is the cure? I have attached a scan of the negative for your examination. I appreciate your opinions.<br>

Howard</p>

<p>This would have to be the back leaking light, in order to fog into the perfs. A shutter with issues can only fog in the frame area.<br /> Or it could be fogged in processing. which is the likely source of such a large area being fogged. The fog does appear to have occurred when the film was wound though. A 2nd roll would be the answer to eliminating the processing as the cause. it would be unlikely to happen twice. Shoot a roll 1st half in bright sun. 2nd half of the roll shoot in a dark place with flash.</p>

<p>How is the door fitting? is it tightly sealing? What about the foam if any in the seams? is it there? Doesn't an S have a removable back similar to an F? That style back would seem an unlikely light leaker.</p>

<p>If it isn't the body, and it isn't from processing. what else could fog into the perfs like that? bad film is unlikely. The pressure plate presses the film flat against the camera's "gate" so a kablooey shutter in theory will only fog within the camera's frame, and not into the perfs. I do think that the bottom strip of negs was wound onto the take up spool when it was light struck, the distance looks correct. And it had to be a bright and prolonged leak to burn the 2nd layer like that.</p>

<p>I just looked at my Nikon F back.<br>

There are two seals on the F, one is on the body along the top of the back, the other is around the tripod socket. Both appear to be a fabric cord type seal, not foam. If yours is missing this would be your problem.<br>

Check to make sure the three rivets along the bottom of the back aren't loose either.</p>

<p>Those leaks are way too large to be from a light leak in the back. (Unless you took the back off before rewinding.) More likely to be in processing. Like letting the magazine slip away from the leader-card processing machine as it pulls the film out. Give them an unexposed (preferably very expired) roll of film to process, see if they fog that.</p>

<p>Steve -<br>

If you will note, the leak only comes at the <em>separation </em>of the frames, not the image itself, and that is consistent throughout the three rolls, only the degree of light hitting the film varies. Could this somehow be connected with advancing the film? The tripod socket is screwed tightly to the back with no provision nor means for sealing it.<br>

John -<br>

The three rolls were processed spaced at different times with successful of rolls in between from other cameras, so I think we can rule out the processing as the fault.<br>

Thanks for the great ideas, though.</p>