Need advice on purchace of Tele-Zoom lense

indrajit

<p>Hi!<br>

I have a Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm lens kit. I want to buy a telephoto-zoom lens for <strong>general purpose use</strong> and for that I have chosen the Nikkor 55-300mm AF lens. But before I buy, I want to know any experts comment/advice regarding this lens. Also if there is any other lens (of some other focal length or other make) that may suit the <strong>General Purpose Use</strong>, please inform me with detail performance critique.</p>

<p>I think I can make you understand my query.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I do not know how you define a 'telephoto-zoom for general purpose use', but looking at your current lens and what you have in mind I recommend the AF-S VR 70-300mm lens, it is light, has a good quality on full frame too. You will find this advice on many more threads in this forum. </p>

<p>Dear Indranil,<br>

I do not know the location (India, USA etc.) you are in. But in my location (Kolkata, India) i feel you have two options.<br>

1. Nikon DX 55-300mm AFS VR<br>

2. Nikon FX 70-300 VR AFS <br>

Of course, there are a Tamron and A Sigma in that range which gets good reviews but in my location (Kolkata, India) I would not consider them due to lack of after sales service and the very insignificant difference in price. So I would rather stck to nikon.<br>

You wil get a lot of recomendations for the 70-300 VR as it has a better build than the 55-300, has internal focussing (ie the front element of the lense does not rotate while focussing and makes the use of Polarizer / filters easier, no manual autofocus override etc.<br>

But the cost of 70-300 is somewhere Rs7000-8000 more which is worth considering. Of course you have to decide this as it is your money and you only would be knowing the purpose of using this lense. but this is my 2 cents that you can consider buying the 55-300 lens and save the money for a DX 35 1.8 AFS prime which would help you a lot in low light situations which neither your kit lens nor your proposed telephoto would. <br>

But if budget is not a constraint i would propose the 70-300 AFS VR and of course a DX 35 1.8 prime now or later. You can just go to your shop and see both the lenses side by side and then decide.<br>

happy shooting......</p>

The 70-300 Nikon VR and Tamron VC lenses (not the less expensive versions from both companies) are definitely

both better than the 55-300. Sharper, especially at a distance, and better built with the better versions of the AFS

systems.