canvas gallery wraps

deni

<p>Hello,<br>

I want to print an image for a client of mine onto a canvas gallery wrap. However, I do not want any of the image to wrap around the sides. I want the image to only be on the front of the canvas and have the darker part of the image wrapping around. How can I resize my image to make sure it fits only on the front? I have tried several attempts to resize the image with no progress. My client wants an 11x14. But, the image won't fit. It mostly wraps width wise. Is there anything I can do to make it fit only on the front of the canvas? I use an on-line photo company and try to do it myself with their template. A friend told me to extend the photo in photoshop. How can I add extensions around the sides to add more room to work with?Thank you for any help.<br>

Denise</p>

<p>Hi Denise,</p>

<p>In Photoshop crop the image to the 11/14 aspect ratio.<br /> Adjust 'Image Size' to 11"x14" (or if printing at 300dpi 3300 x 4200 pixels) then copy the layer, sit on the Background Layer and adjust 'Canvas Size' to something larger.<br /> Then still sitting on the Background Layer go to Edit > Fill and make the colour black/dark, for example.<br /> Flatten/merge image layers.<br /> Print test at 300dpi on paper.<br /><br /> Hope this is what you want. :-)</p>

<p>As Clive states you have to crop the image to 11x14 to fit on the front surface of the canvas.<br>

As for the edge extensions for a gallery wrap, this is a youtube clip which you may find useful.<br>

<a href="

- Gallery Wrap : How to do the Photoshop Technique for a canvas gallery wrap</a></p>

<p>You probably won't be able to not have "any" of the canvaswrap around the sides. Because it's stretched (slightly) in the wrapping, you probably won't get a razor sharp edge. Also, if your image doesn't fit the 11x14 aspect ratio, it would be best to find a company that will make you a custom size gallery wrap.<br>

In the future, it would be best if you knew the scope of the project BEFORE the shoot. It would make this part of the process much easier.</p>

<p>I recently did a 16x20 canvas from an online source and it was very successful.<br>

1. Carefully read the template instructions. Note the resolution requirement in dpi, the central image size in either inches or pixels, and the overall dimensions (inches or pixels) including the wrap. <br>

2. Resize the main image. In PS go to Image, Image Resize. enter the resolution in dpi as per the template. Also enter the image height as per the template, in inches or pixels. Ignore the image width dimension for now. click Okay. <br>

3. Next go to the marquee tool. In Style, Fixed Ratio, enter 14 for the width and 11 for the height. Drag the cursor down the full height and across till it stops. Move the outlined box left or right over the image where you want. Go to Image, Crop. Your image is now the 11x14 size for the canvas face. <br>

4. Now you add the wrap edges. Go to Image, Canvas Size, and enter the overall dimensions, as per the template. Center click the image inside the extended edge dimensions with arrows pointing vertical and horizontal, click okay. Oddly the new outside dimensions are not exactly the 11x14 ratio, but don't worry about it. The main image is still 11x14 as per step 3 and that's what counts. <br>

5. You will see the white borders for the wrap. Double check the outside dimensions according to the template. You have now readied your picture for the canvas wrap with white edges. <br>

6. Do a save-as with a revised name. Save it for upload. <br>

I may have forgotten a detail or two but this sums up the process. Be sure to carefully follow the template directions. Good Luck.</p>