Has anyone bought the 270EX II?

yakim_peled1

<p>This flash interests me and I think about buying it. B&H and Adorama both say: "New Item - No arrival date known". While there are some available for purchase in E-bay and Amazon, I must confess I am not sure that these retailers know the actual difference between the original and the Mk II. The fact that the pictures in these sites are all frontal (where the original and the Mk II are identical) also worries me. I thus wonder if anyone has actually bought one, and from where.</p>

<p>Also, if you have done so (which proves it's actually on sale), do you have any idea why B&H and Adorama don't have it in stock? The thing is, I'd rather buy from them.</p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim.</p>

<p>I haven't seen one yet but it's probably made in Taiwan so it shouldn't be subject to the production slowdowns in Japan due to the tsunami. But perhaps the Taiwan factories need Japan made components and that's jamming things up. I'd wait until it hits the mainstream market before attempting a purchase.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I suspect that the Mk II is a great flash as it has slave capabilities. I have the Mk I as a pocket / spare flash and I love

it. It is very small and light but surprisingly powerful. I often use it as a fill in flash for my 1D and my 5D II. If we are

hiking in the mountains I find my 580 / 550 s are rather big and heavy but the 270 is extremely powerful. Despite

having only two batteries it has a reasonable recharge rate so you can bracket three shots without and real problem -

especially if you are not using full power. I suspect that the slave capability will be very useful - especially with a body

like the 7D where you have a built in master capability. I hope you find one as it is a great little flash for ad hoc and fill

in use.

<p>Peter, that's exactly my line of thinking.</p>

<p>Philip, Indeed I want it for all the reasons you mention. The slave capability is worthwhile for me to wait. I have the 580EX but due to weight and size it often stays at home. In case of need, I use the built-in one of my 7D.</p>

<p><br /> Happy shooting,<br /> Yakim. </p>

<p>Unfortunately the 270EX II has a couple of limitations that make it much less useful than it might be at a prosumer level. First, it fires with a signal on any channel, a possible problem in multi-photographer environments. Secondly, and much more of an issue, you cannot set the group. If I remember correctly, it is always in Group A. So its value for multi-flash setups is much reduced. I won't claim that Canon dewliberately crippled it because these would indeed be extra features that would add a bit to the cost, but perhaps there is a failure of the imagination here in not realising its potential.</p>

<p>Yakim, I opted for the 320ex because of the led light for focusing close up in the dark. I used it on my 5Dmkll at a wedding last week and found it worked Ok ( not great) but was better that any thing else that I have found. It is a lot lighter than my 580ll but I wish it had a pull up reflector like the580ll, Bill</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Unfortunately the 270EX II has a couple of limitations that make it much less useful than it might be at a prosumer level. First, it fires with a signal on any channel, a possible problem in multi-photographer environments. Secondly, and much more of an issue, you cannot set the group. If I remember correctly, it is always in Group A. So its value for multi-flash setups is much reduced. I won't claim that Canon dewliberately crippled it because these would indeed be extra features that would add a bit to the cost, but perhaps there is a failure of the imagination here in not realising its potential.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>First, YGWYPF. Second, it is quite plausible that they indeed crippled it (remember the 300D case?). Third, they may be saving this for the Mk III. Big corporations do that at times. They want you to keep buying.</p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim.</p>

<p>It would be really stupid of Canon to design a product so well they eat into sales of current and future products. Giving the consumer just enough to simulate sales and compete with rivals and subsequently following a schedule of feature and design upgrades is a smart business plan. Otherwise there would be no Canon...</p>

<p>I seem to recall some idiot inventing a light bulb that never burned out...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter