Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10

Stock-Photos

<p><strong>Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10</strong><br>

I purchaced this software to edit video from my 7D. It worked poorly with lots of lock-ups and crashes on my old computer. <br>

Even on my new, very fast computer (w 12Gb RAM, i7 2600 3.4 Ghz) it is very unstable. It even locks up while previewing 7D movie clips.</p>

<p>I understand Vegas is a 32 bit program and cannot use more than 2GB RAM. I get out of memory errors.</p>

<p>It seems the 64bit video editors are rare. I have downloaded a trial version of:<br>

<a href="http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/overview_en_US.html">http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/overview_en_US.html</a></p>

<p>but it does not appear to be as full featured as Vegas.</p>

<p>Can anyone recommend video editing software that works smoothly with the 7D files?<br>

Converting my video to other formats is not something I want to do before editing.<br>

Also, if I must convert to another format to use Vagas, is there a format transer type which does not loose quality?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance. J.</p>

<p> </p>

My wife dislikes Sony Vegas (32-bit) also, for similar reasons, and also says it is hard to use. However it is one of the most often recommended, or the most recommended, sub-pro video editor for Windows.

I am starting to think you need a Mac if you want to edit video. Over 10 years ago I worked at SGI with a system that had < 10% of today's compute power, and it could edit and play HD video smoothly, which (for 1080) seems beyond the capability of the fastest Windows PCs today. Perhaps this is because anti-virus and anti-malware software consume the bulk of system resources.

Possibly Avid or Adobe Premier work better.

<p>Thanks for the responses. Mark, do you use Vegas Pro with mov files from a Canon 7D or 5D II ? These files seem to be more demanding than other video formats.</p>

<p>I'll download the Vegas Pro trial but I don't think I'm willing to spent over $500.00 on it, since it's just a hobby.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Canon 7D files are .mov h.264 format. I know the new version of Vegas Studio Platinum 11 has AVC H.264 encoding built in. Try the demo and see. It's still $99. Other than that, you may not have the right codec on your machine. Windows is funny like that and you can find the codec for free. heard you can convert the file before putting it into vegas with Windows Live Movie Maker. But I would try getting the right codec first. <br>

As far as Vegas being hard to use, I never understand that from some people. No other NLE I've used has automatic transitions by pushing one clip over another. It has the best help file and when you use it, it really comes together and becomes intuitive. I've used Avid, Final Cut Pro, Edius and Premiere and none of them are as fast at cutting video as Vegas. Also, capturing video with vegas is super easy and Vegas' own codec is top notch. There's nothing wrong with the other NLE's, but I've been using Vegas since version 3 and it's been really good. </p>

<p>There are some other things you can do to help the video production work run smoothly on your PC.</p>

<p>First, consider installing one of those 10,000 RPM Western Digital VelociRaptor internal SATA drives as a 2nd internal drive on your PC. Use this drive space as your main video project workspace so that all video file I/O streams will run as fast as possible. This will speed up file loads, file saves, video content rendering, and video compression for web. Video rendering and video compression steps are very processor and hard-drive intensive, and can take quite a long time to run. So a high-speed hard-drive can make these steps of the process much more effecient.</p>

<p>Second, a simple maintenance task, like running DEFRAG on the main drive, and any other internal drives, can help file I/O streams run faster by repacking all system files and data files in nice contiguous order. My own practice is to run DEFRAG 6-7 times sequentially on both C drive and other drives to get the files packed as tight as possible.</p>

<p>Third, check the Windows Paging file, and make sure its got at least as much space as the amount of RAM in the machine. You can go higher, by setting it 2X or 2.5X as much RAM as you have in the machine. The page file is a dedicated slice of the hard-drive where the OS is going to put data pulled from RAM as it goes about the task of managing the RAM. If the system is running into moments when it thinks its running out of space in RAM, then it puts idle data from RAM into the Page file and keeps right on going. But if the page file is too small, then the system can lock up or do weird things because there's insufficient space to hold the stuff being pulled out of RAM by the OS. By setting the page file 2X the amount of RAM you give the OS plenty of space to use for Ram mgt.</p>

<p>Check the driver on your video-graphics card, make sure you have Hardware Acceleration turned all the way up. This will tell the card to make maximum use of its built-in hardware functions to get the highest performance.</p>

<p> </p>

• 4 months later...