flickr photos for book to be published from U.K.

<p>I recently received a request from someone who claims to work for a company called Bloomsbury Publishing Plc and located in the U.K. I'm told in the email that they are planning to publish a book on roller derby fashion and are interesting in using some of my roller derby photos that they've seen posted on Flickr. I have no experience or knowledge in these types of transactions and I was given no details on the submission process. They just asked if they can use a particular set of images and would need hi Res copies. I'm not a professional. While it might be cool to see my work in book format, I'm a bit apprehensive about just giving my work away for what has been described as primarily a photo book. I wonder if any of you p.net photo transaction veterans would mind giving me some quick tips on how to proceed in something like this? Do I need to contact the athletes in the photos to obtain photo releases? Should I expect to charge for usage of my photos? If so, what is a reasonable request? Since my work already exists, should this be treated like a photo stock transaction? Thank you all!</p>

<p>Bloomsbury are a reputable UK publisher (they picked up JK Rowling and Harry Potter after other publishers rejected the wizard stories). They are here: http://www.bloomsbury.com/</p>

<p>Jeff is about right with his estimate of repro fees. And absolutely correct that releases are not required (unless some peculiar factors are at play).</p>

<p>Rates vary but here are some that are current and used by a major UK Govt agency:<br>

Cover £155<br>

Cover (front and back) £229<br>

Inside (double page) £187<br>

Full page (inside) £127<br>

1/2 page £99<br>

1/4 page £66</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Jeff/John, thank you so much for your responses! I did get another response from the Bloomsbury contact with more detail about the project. I've copied some detail from the response below. . .</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Thank you for your email. . .The usage for the photos needs to include any possible reprints, foreign language editions and possible ebooks but you will, of course, retain copyright. I am able to offer a small fee of £35 (approx $60) per image for photos for this book. This is quite an 'experimental' book for the company which I have managed to convince them to publish as a personal project of mine so they have not given me much of a budget. I understand that this is not a lot but we have decided that, as this is a great way to generate publicity for the sport and for photographers to showcase their work to an international readership, we will credit each photographer fully in the photo caption, rather than using a credits page at the back of the book as we normally do.<br /> <br /> Our submission deadline is fast approaching so do you think you would be able to send me the photos by 17th June? The submission process is usually based on an agreement reached through email correspondence. We usually ask photographers to submit their photos by email or by uploading them to our ftp site. When the photos are received, we allocate a purchase order number to those photos. We send this PO number to the photographer to quote on their invoice and then they send us an invoice for the agreed fee. We then arrange for our accounts department to make the payment. I can provide you with a contract if you wish to have one for your own files.<br /> <br /> I can also send you some sample pages and cover design to give you an idea of the overall design of the book. Let me know if you do and I can email them to you.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have a copy of Tad Crawford's Business and Legal Forms which contains a sample invoice that I suppose I can use. Do you think that it's necessary that I copyright the photos that they are interested in before FTPing to them?<br /></p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do you think that it's necessary that I copyright the photos that they are interested in before FTPing to them?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Up to you, cant hurt, but to be honest the least hassle way ahead is to create your caption which they say they will put on your picture as<br>

©Asa Frye/www.asafrye.com<br>

assuming you have such a .com address, if not maybe buy it now and get some web presence so that any other potential users of your images can find you too. That way you make the most use of the opportunity Bloomsbury are giving you. And make the inclusion of this exact credit wording a clause in your contract so they must use it on every image as they stated.</p>